Peak Bagging article in Outdoors

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Just got the June issue of the AMC's Outdoors.

There's a good article on peak bagging by Michael Lanza. Is that one of our Michaels?

Much of it rings true and is quite awe inspiring. It mentions Cath Goodwin who IMHO is one of the more awesome individuals out there.

Makes me want to get out. Too bad, I gotta wait till next Tuesday. Got to do a little run first. ;)

Pb

Not me, though I sure am peakbagging this summer! #'s 32 and 33 this weekend if all goes well. :D

Peakbagging in the Whites vs. the Adirondacks

I found the AMC article Papa Bear speaks of quite interesting. Aside from Cave Dog's previous foray into the Adirondacks, peakbagging record books and local newspapers, rarely would you ever see such a narrative on the Adirondack High Peaks. The peakbagging vignettes in the AMC article made you want to emulate the cast of characters and begin your own list of the White Mountains. In my opinion, such emphasis on climbing the Adirondack High Peaks is strictly taboo, PVIC- politically very incorrect in these parts. Regardless of what publication you read on the subject of hiking in upper New York State (with the obvious exception of Adirondack Peeks magazine (the official publication of the Adirondack Forty-Sixers), the emphasis for the past several years has been on anything but the High Peaks. If you are reading Adirondac magazine (the official publication of the Adirondack Mountain Club or Adirondack Life magazine, one would be hard pressed to find an encouraging word to hike the highest summits in the Adirondack Park. I completely understand the strategy and ultimate goal for the preservation of the delicate ecosystems and Alpine environments of our loftiest summits (if, as I suspect, it has been deliberate). I also support the notion (from personal experience) that there are so many mountains and other areas in New York State with so much more to offer than 4000 feet. However, I remain disappointed that the spectacular High Peaks of New York are not promoted, highlighted or at least mentioned more often.

The article did mention Mohammed and Aaron from this site specifically, so congrats on the inktime.

I am not a peak bagger, but the article did make me think about the NH 4k'ers and the Catskill 35's.

Re: Peakbagging in the Whites vs. the Adirondacks

Pete Hogan said:
I However, I remain disappointed that the spectacular High Peaks of New York are not promoted, highlighted or at least mentioned more often.

Well, aside from 'club news' the most recent issue of Peeks only has articles about the High Peaks. One problem may be that they don't have enough article submissions.

But yes, the 46ers do not want to be premoting fastest, most times climbed, youngest, etc. There is now a disclaimer in Peeks which states that they want to encourage climbing for 'persnoal satisfaction', not records.

Some people have done things which are truely dumb in quest of a record.

Completing a list, or setting a record - both are quests, and both share the potential for stupidity on the part of the participants.

The number of people who attempt speed records is but a handful, and most of them have excellent safety records and practices, so attempting to link their feats with unsafe practices in the mountains just doesn't hold water, in my opinion.

The same goes for the prolific peak baggers among us - their wealth of knowledge as to weather, navigation, etc. is extraordinary for the most part.

The deaths that occured this winter in NH had nothing to do with record setting, and were primarily caused by the individuals lack of familiarity in the regions they chose to attempt in harsh weather conditions. The fact that some of these people were athletes is meaningless, despite the attempts by some to make a linkage on this point.

Respect the mountains, their environs, and their might, but don't let the naysayers get in the way of your dreams, lists, and aspirations.