peakbagging around Passaconaway 5/5/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
I'll be hiking up to Arethusa Falls on Sunday the 6th with my friend Ron (aka slowpoke) and figured I'd head up Saturday to do some peak bagging around Passaconaway and then spend the night at Lyon's.

the route: starting at Ferncroft, head up Wonalancet Range Tr to Walden Tr (bagging Mt Wonalancet [2760'] and Hibbard Mtn [2940']), sidetrip to Mt Hedgehog [3140'] (no, not Hedgehog Mtn :rolleyes: ), up to Passaconaway [4043'], bagging Nanamocomuck Peak [3340'] along the way, then descend via Square Ledge Tr (bagging Square Ledge [2620]) and Old Mast Rd.

I believe the milage is 11 miles with 4200' of elevation with a book time of about 7:30

Anyone care to join me?

Last edited:
The side trip to Wonalancet Hedgehog is well worth the trip. The high point is a huge glacial erratic - spectacular views if you can get on top of it! (I was able to - are you up to the challenge?)

The Walden trail is steep going up Nanamockomuck and there is another steep section up near the summit of Passaconaway. Not sure how much it will have melted by then, but I do remember I was happy I had crampons on. There was pretty deep snow on the Wonalancet Ridge as well.

Have fun... If the weather is good you will have so many great views on this loop!