Pemi Loop - June

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
We've got a small group (looks like 3-4, at this point) put together for a counterclockwise Pemi Loop attempt in June.

Two of us did the Loop in June 2007 in ~13.5 hours. We did not do West Bond or Galehead that day. We went clockwise, and for the most part, were walking (fast) as opposed to trail running, though there were some occasional, brief periods of jogging thrown in during those final, flat miles.

I'm pretty sure we'll be slower than 13.5 hours this time around, but we are still looking to go faster than book time. We may add West Bond and/or Galehead this time around.

I'm not promising that we'll wait for you, if you are slower than us. Nor am I asking you to wait for us, if you are faster (which, of course, is no less a possibility). We will have our own transportation, and so should you. You must have your own hiking partner(s), one or more people you already know, and have hiked with before, who will stay with you. You and your group must be prepared to be completely self sufficient.

In short, given the extraordinarily challenging nature of the Pemi Loop, I'm not really offering to lead this trip in any traditional sense, but simply letting folks know we'll be out there, and offering to, perhaps, maybe, form some sort of loose confederation. At the very least, our groups might start out together.

If the opportunity presents itself, we could try a preliminary hike, say of 15 miles or more, to assess our compatibility. If that goes well, then perhaps, maybe, we might more formally pool our resources.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit tentative. But we will be investing a substantial amount of time and energy in preparation, and like any cautious investors, we'll be "protecting the principal." Past experience has taught us that the right combination of weather, ability, availability, and injury-free status is all too fleeting.

Again, our plan is to complete this 31 mile (minimum) day hike at faster than "book" time. Fast (walking) pace, short rest breaks.

Please PM me if you would like to discuss further.

Latest posts