pemi ski interest? feb 22/23/24ish?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying to ski from Lincoln Woods to Thoreau Falls and back out (to get the payback from breaking trail) on 2/22-24 ish, day-trip. Currently open for any of those days. Could be a long day/night and a lot of work. Trailfinding might be tough. I've only made it 2.1mi up Thoreau Falls Trail so far on 2 tries and really want to get all the way up TFT. Any strong trailbreaking skiers out there interested in giving it a shot? PM or email me at [email protected]!!!

update - it was an ADVENTURE!!!

We did this on 2/22-23. Thanks Doug for being insane enough to join!!! We will post a detailed trip report in a couple of days!!! I finally broke thru the 2.1 mile barrier and made it all the way up to Thoreau Falls - YEAH!!!

We did the lollipop - up Thoreau Falls Trail, thru Thoreau Falls, and down via Shoal Pond Trail. Just under 30 hours of continuous skiing for this adventure - LOTS of fun!!!!!! --Becca

Yikes, 30 hours of continuous xc skiing is epic!

My regular Pemi ski-through group is planning an attempt (Zealand Road to Lincoln Woods) on Saturday, March 5th, probably via Shoal Pond. The ski-through is much easier than Becca's Pemi loop. If anyone is interested in joining them (I cannot make the trip this year), please send me a PM, and I will connect you with them. My group made its first Pemi ski-through attempt in 1982, then had a continuous successful run every year from 1985 to 2009 (got skunked by lousy snow conditions last winter).

My regular Pemi ski-through group is planning an attempt (Zealand Road to Lincoln Woods) on Saturday, March 5th, probably via Shoal Pond. The ski-through is much easier than Becca's Pemi loop. If anyone is interested in joining them (I cannot make the trip this year), please send me a PM, and I will connect you with them. My group made its first Pemi ski-through attempt in 1982, then had a continuous successful run every year from 1985 to 2009 (got skunked by lousy snow conditions last winter).

Any idea if the ski-through was successful? I was wondering as I was hiking on Saturday. Also, maybe it's the same thing, but I saw an AMC ski of the pemi posted as as trip the same day. No trip reports seem to have been posted for any ski-throughs and I'm wondering about how conditions were. THANKS!!! --Becca

We ran into them at the Zealand Parking lot in the morning, not sure how far they made it, windy day even down low.

Any idea if the ski-through was successful? I was wondering as I was hiking on Saturday.
Dr D placed me on their mailing list--there was a bit of "are you interested" chatter, but nothing on whether they went or how far they got.

There was enough snowfall between when Becca and I went and the above trip that our tracks were probably no longer visible.

Doug

Last edited:
I have not heard anything yet, but will investigate and report back. Good to know that they at least made it to the Zealand parking lot for the start; thanks for that info, una_dogger!

We ran into them at the Zealand Parking lot in the morning, not sure how far they made it, windy day even down low.

Just heard from "my" group that they did not try the Pemi ski-through this past Saturday, so must have been the AMC group at the Zealand Parking lot. Our group has been skunked two years in a row for the first time in our 25+ year history. :(

I just got an email from the AMC group. They did not complete the traverse either. They got as far as Shoal Pond (from Rte 302). Snow conditions VERY sticky. Shoal Pond Trail was not broken out.

Latest posts