Peregrine Falcons on Dix?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCD

Reaction score
I am one of the volunteer climber group working with the DEC to observe the locations of Peregrine Falcon nests in the High Peaks region. One of the sites I volunteered to observe was "Dix Mountain."

When I signed up for that site, I explained that "Dix Mountain" was rather large, and asked for specifics. The folks at DEC were not able to narrow the location down any more than that. They indicated that the site was on their list as a result of a hiker report from approximately 1999.

Now I know the kinds of cliffs Peregrines prefer, so I took the time on Saturday while my wife climbed Dix to run down to Hunter's Pass, to the fairly large steep cliff that is there, thinking that it was probably the most "Peregrine friendly" cliff I knew of on the Dix massif.

I studied the cliff carefully with binoculars, and there was no sign of falcons, nest sites, whitewash, anything. So nobody was home, at least this year.

So I thought I would ask the following questions here:

Has anyone seen Peregrine Falcons on or near Dix in their travels?

Is anyone here maybe the hiker who reported the falcon sighting to the DEC some years ago?

Does anyone here know of another "Peregrine friendly" cliff on Dix or perhaps on Hough? (Peregrines prefer a sheer vertical or overhanging cliff, at least 50' or 75' high, with isolated ledges where they can make their nest without being bothered by ground based pests and predators.)

Thanks in advance!

TCD

Spotted

I'm not a bird expert, but I swear I was buzzed twice by a falcon on Spotted some years ago. Tons of little cliffs and ledges in the area. Not sure, but it might be worth a walk up E-town #4 and Spotted - just look out for bee's!

regards,

Brian H.

peregrines in the Dixes

We had a Peregrine glide by us near the summit of Macomb in the early 80's. It was Autumn, though, and it was undoubtedly migrating. Sticks in my mind as it was before the recovery of the species and they were really rare at that time.

The difficulty with your Dixes assignment is that many of the steep, rocky areas are climbable slides. Shallow enough for hikers to get up, and with few exceptions, not the verticality remoteness due to climbers coming thru. In the Dix Range, you might find what you're looking for on Hough's western side. Some very remote rock and cliffs, generally inaccessible and largely unknown.

PB

ps Its a long haul in, but there are many steep, rocky areas above Panther Gorge on Marcy. Very remote. Has DEC checked that area out?