Pico de Orizaba

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Orizaba

In January of 2002 I did Orizaba with a group of friends. For this trip to be completed quickly I say acclimatize yourself prior to going and/or maintain a cardio routine. Since Mexico City has an elevation of around 7000' to begin with, I had to get into great cardiovascular shape before my trip. To acclimatize for Orizaba, we climbed La Malinche prior as at the time Izta and Popo were active volcanos (and still might be). La Malinche is much smaller than Orizaba, much less snow and wind and can be summitted within a day. Also, from it's summit, Orizaba, Itxa and Popo can all be seen...beautiful site. For gear, we had ice picks, crampons, gortex shells, gortex pants, capilene layers, gators, hiking boots, caribineers, rope, Nalgenes, 20 below sleeping bags, sturdy, storm proof tents, one set of pots/pans, pills to serilize the water (after boiling it), candy bars, suntan lotion (sun reflecting off the snow is brutal), electrolytes, hats, gortex gloves, etc. However, to save on this cost, if you could borrow this gear from an outdoor rental company or University with an ourdoor club which I did to save money. Also, depending on where/when you're flying out, www.priceline.com has a "name your own price" option if your schedule permits it. For example, you could ask to pay $150USD; however, they may connect you twice with a long wait in between. If you don't mind the wait, that is the way to go. Prior and after our trip we spent two days at in the town of Tlachichuca at Senor Reyes, the most well known bed and breakfast for climbers of Orizaba. Everyone there spoke English, the bunks were clean, the food was pure Mexican, and the family was very plesant. Also, at Senor Reyes, they drive you and your equipment directly to the mountain. Overall, it's a great climb, I highly recommend it...much safer than other mountains its altitude, it's Mexico and what a view! If you have any other ?s, feel free to drop me a line. Buena suerte y le vaya bien,
Sylvia
[email protected]

Last edited:
tmax: when are you headed there?

they say the best time to climb is around december, but we were thinking of going in april/may when there is still alot of snow.

anita514 said:
tmax: when are you headed there?

they say the best time to climb is around december, but we were thinking of going in april/may when there is still alot of snow.

Going the second week in January. I can't believe so many VFTTers have been there or are thinking of going...very cool! :)