pics of mystery tracks and a den?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I was snowshoing around some areas of beaver bogs along the Meadow Brook, near Sawyer River Trail (Kancamagus end).

large coyote tracks...

meadowbrookf.jpg

coyote and fox(?)...

meadowbrookg.jpg

I believe this is a den, but who might be in there sleeping? These holes are on either side of a downed tree in a small stand of pine and spruce, surrounded by beaver bogs. The sides of the holes appear to be melty, as if warm air is rising through them. They are about 6" in diameter.

meadowbrrook.jpg

Here, a critter has emerged from a hole in the ice of a bog. The hole looks too small for any beaver I've ever seen, about softball-sized. I'm wondering if it's a mink or otter.

meadowbrook.jpg

meadowbrookb.jpg

I followed him over land to another bog. Looks like he went sliding down this little slope...

meadowbrookd.jpg

He did his business...

meadowbrooke.jpg

The track went to another bog and entered another hole in the ice that was only 5" wide. I just can't imagine a beaver fitting through those holes. Hmmm...

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Agree on the fox and Coyote.

The "den" holes don't get melted as much from warm air rising through but the animal passing through itself. Not only are they warm but say they are out hunting and pick up all the snow and wet on there fur then slide back in through the hole, it wipes itself on the sides of the hole then refreezes.

The bog hole and tracks are interesting. It's hard to pick up any detail from the picks as far as size but I'd rule out mink. The bog part and the fact that the first hole looks like it is on a bank I was going to include Muskrat as a possibility. The rest of the tracks with the mix of sliding and then abrupt paw prints definitely seems to say otter. Most otter usually stick to more running water than bogs but they may have found a nice abandon den to take up a winter home in for awhile. They are opportunity takers. :)

ColdRiverRun said:
Agree on the fox and Coyote.

The "den" holes don't get melted as much from warm air rising through but the animal passing through itself. Not only are they warm but say they are out hunting and pick up all the snow and wet on there fur then slide back in through the hole, it wipes itself on the sides of the hole then refreezes.

The bog hole and tracks are interesting. It's hard to pick up any detail from the picks as far as size but I'd rule out mink. The bog part and the fact that the first hole looks like it is on a bank I was going to include Muskrat as a possibility. The rest of the tracks with the mix of sliding and then abrupt paw prints definitely seems to say otter. Most otter usually stick to more running water than bogs but they may have found a nice abandon den to take up a winter home in for awhile. They are opportunity takers. :)

Ah, that makes sense about the den holes.

The holes in the ice were indeed both at the edge of a bank. I do think it was otter, in fact two. The second to last pic looks like two went sliding. The Meadow Brook becomes more of a large brook just down from this bog, on it's way to the Swift River, so that also means good habitat for otters. Thanks, all.

happy trails :)

Chip said:
Depends on your system. "x"'s are what I'd see at work, but at home I see the pics.

Some tracks I thought might be fox in Maine turned out to be Pine Martin.

The canine family have four toes showing on the front of the track, the mustelids have five toes.