picture of a strange moose antler

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I saw this moose antler today near Slippery Brook. It's the second time I've found an antler with a tine growing from the back, but not this pronounced.

Also saw this moose antler in the same area.

What a nice day in the White Mtns.!

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
Atypical Antlers

I once saw a white tail buck , an 8 pointer, with one antler growing downward. The buck held it's head at an odd angle as well. I was never close enough or quick enough to get a photo (the deer was still alive)- but a friend who is a hunter said that it is not uncommon for there to be "atypical" type of antler growth.

I would bet that there is a subset of hunters who specifically collect that kind of trophy.

By the way- look at my avatar.

Thanks for the interesting pix.

Atypical Antlers

I once saw a white tail buck , an 8 pointer, with one antler growing downward. The buck held it's head at an odd angle as well. I was never close enough or quick enough to get a photo (the deer was still alive)- but a friend who is a hunter said that it is not uncommon for there to be "atypical" type of antler growth.

I would bet that there is a subset of hunters who specifically collect that kind of trophy.

By the way, check out my avatar.

Thanks for the interesting pix.

Deer with that type of tine is referred to as a "drop tine"....and is cosidered as a nontypical rack. I would imagine it's the same for moose. Several things can cause this type of growth, usually from an injury to the developing antler when it's in the growth stage, to a virus that gets into it as well, which can cause them to develop holes in the antlers as well.

Latest posts