picture of an albino moose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!!! I believe it's a "white moose", not a true albino, just a recessive gene situation. This is what I was told by NH F@G about a similar moose. Any other info, such as location?

happy trails :)

forestgnome said:
Awesome!!! I believe it's a "white moose", not a true albino, just a recessive gene situation. This is what I was told by NH F@G about a similar moose. Any other info, such as location?

Just to split hairs, "true albinism" is usually caused by recessive versions of particular genes as well. The difference is that a true albino will have almost no dark pigment (melanin) in any tissues (e.g. red eyes). Some genes are needed to produce pigment anywhere in the body; other distinct genes (perhaps like the one mutant in this moose) might only be needed to get the pigment made in the hair.

Of course to prove any of this we would have to cross the moose with a normal moose, examine the offspring, and then cross the offspring. Any volunteers?

Your "Jim Fowler" moment...

chipc said:
Any volunteers?

You go ahead... I will stay right here and do my Marlin Perkins imitation, reading loudly from the Wiki instructions on collecting the specimen. :D

chipc said:
Just to split hairs, "true albinism" is usually caused by recessive versions of particular genes as well. The difference is that a true albino will have almost no dark pigment (melanin) in any tissues (e.g. red eyes). Some genes are needed to produce pigment anywhere in the body; other distinct genes (perhaps like the one mutant in this moose) might only be needed to get the pigment made in the hair.

Of course to prove any of this we would have to cross the moose with a normal moose, examine the offspring, and then cross the offspring. Any volunteers?

Thanks for the better explanation Follow the link by Karst for more great info.

Royswkr, Thanks for that link. I've always wanted to check LL Cote. I hear their adds on the radio. Now I definately have to visit!

I'm so glad she is off limits to hunters; hope they do the same in BC. The possibility of a white moose sighting is yet another reason why I could never grow tired of hiking.

happy trails