Pictures from a climber rescue on El Cap

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Not exactly hiking related, but it seems like a slow news day (a slow Views day?), and only takes about 30 seconds to look over the photos, which are pretty darn impressive.

Climber injured himself and was rescued off a cliff. The rescuer had some serious courage to be where he was!

http://www.elcapreport.com/content/special-edition-elcap-rescue-92611

Brian

Climbing is definitely part of the mandate here at Views, and rescues in the mountains would qualify no matter what. Good job rescue crews!

WOW. Half way through reading, I'm thinking, "But how are they going to get two dudes hanging from the bottom of the chopper to a stance on a vertical face???" Right, the ol' bean-bag-attached-to-a-rope trick. Why didn't I think of that? Jeeeeezuuuuuus.

First: Ouch on the thumb :eek:. Glad that worked out.

Second:
hikerbrian said:
Right, the ol' bean-bag-attached-to-a-rope trick. Why didn't I think of that?

I was in the local Power Equipment shop yesterday; mowers, chain saws, lots of tree work gear, etc. and noticed these turbo wrist-rocket sling shot rigs on poles that tree workers use to get a line over a limb. A guy in the shop said they're also used by rescue workers to get lines up cliffs, onto ice, etc.

In this case though, they would have probably knocked the guys off the cliff shooting the line at them.

Not sure climbing rescue gets any better than YOSAR*. Those guys (and gals) are a-flippin'-mazing!

High-angle rescue is extremely challenging and dangerous, yet these rescue teams always answer the call.

*(Jenny Lake rangers prob'ly come in a close second, and the PGHM in Chamonix rounding out the top three.)