Pierce Pond Shuttle?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Townie

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know of an outfit that will do a shuttle for us between Caratunk and Stratton Brook Pond, at the base of Bigelow? My daughter Boulderdash and I will be doing the trip sometime later this summer, and we'd prefer not to drive 2 vehicles all the way there and back. We'd much prefer each other's company!

While we're on the subject, is there a site where one can find lists of shuttle services for various parts of the AT, whether in Maine, New England, NY or wherever? It would be a good resource to know about for the future.

I don't know the area, so I don't know how feasible it is, but think bicycle.

Stash a bike in the woods at one end, then ride it back to the car. Just make sure you take the keys with you... Don't leave them in your pack which you left at the trailhead.

That is an understatement Peter (you don't know the area) !!!

I don't think they want to do a hundred mile bike trip after climbing over the Bigelows plus crossing considerable Maine territory on the AT.

Two resources I would use: 1) whiteblaze.net and scroll down to the trailheads & shuttles forum, if you can't find anything there start your own thread like you did here.

2) e-mail Steve Longley - maybe he could put you thru to someone who could help you. He is the ferryman on the AT canoe that will take you across the Kennebec River in Caratunk. His e-mail is: [email protected]

Hopefully, I gave you two good leads.

It'sa bit out of his area but Keith Shaw (the younger) of "Shaw's Boarding House" (207-997-3597) does shuttling from Monson for at least 100 miles. He routinely shutles from Monson to Bangor and Katahdin. Bigelows are no further than those although in the opposite direction.

Also the hostels in Andover, quite a ways in the other direction, will shuttle all over for a price. I remember in Earl Shaffer's last book he got shuttled from Andover to Katahdin. He stayed at "The Cabin" (207-392-1333) Maybe a special service for who he was, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

All phone numbers are in the Companion.

Pb

Pete, askus is right! Since we're from Portland, driving 2 cars would be far better than THAT particular bike ride (unless, of course, one is really into bike rides, like Pete Hickey!).

Thanks for the leads, folks. Is Steve Longley still the Boat Man? I thought I'd heard a rumor somewhere that he'd given it up and moved on. (Those of you not from Maine may not know that Steve's father was governor of Maine in the 70s.)

Steve retired after the 2002 season. Last year another company took over for the season. This year Steve "unretired" (I guess like Roger Clemens) and is doing it again.

Pb