Pine Tar Removal

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found 3 things that work: nail polish remover, isopropyl alcohol, and peanut butter. I'm guessing the latter two would be safest for nylon.

Let us know which works best.

I just cleaned some pine sap off my car winshield by first rubbing the bulk off with a paper towel and then washing the remainder with household window cleaner.

Be gentle (both chemically and mechanically) with coated nylon--it is pretty easy to damage the coating. I've read reports of it being damaged by strong detergents. Acids will also damage nylon.

Doug

Ayup

precisely my dilemma DP, don't wanna burn up the fabric

but it IS on the bottom of my MSR bug tent which has a thicker WP floor than some tents

and i can retreat it w/ seam sealer if the coating comes off

just don't wanna burn all the way through

Gris said:
precisely my dilemma DP, don't wanna burn up the fabric but it IS on the bottom of my MSR bug tent which has a thicker WP floor than some tents and i can retreat it w/ seam sealer if the coating comes off
A pure hydrocarbon such as paint thinner (NOT stripper!!) or odorless mineral spirits should leave the coating intact and the nylon will be completeley untouched. Acetone is a component of old time paint strippers, and may affect the coating, (it'll make your acetone :D ). Another thing to try is a dishwashing liquid (such as Dawn) straight out of the bottle and rub it into the tar stain.

Gris said:
precisely my dilemma DP, don't wanna burn up the fabric

but it IS on the bottom of my MSR bug tent which has a thicker WP floor than some tents

and i can retreat it w/ seam sealer if the coating comes off

Another approach would be to just rub what you can off on a paper towel and then rub the spot in some dust to block the stickiness. Over time it will likely dry out/oxidize and flake off. Works on my car...

Doug

Last edited:
Paradox said:
A pure hydrocarbon such as paint thinner (NOT stripper!!) or odorless mineral spirits should leave the coating intact and the nylon will be completeley untouched. Acetone is a component of old time paint strippers, and may affect the coating, (it'll make your acetone :D ). Another thing to try is a dishwashing liquid (such as Dawn) straight out of the bottle and rub it into the tar stain.
Tent waterproof coatings are usually urethane.

IIRC, you know chemistry better than I do.

Doug

whitelief said:
I think (I'm guessing) that the active ingredient in peanut buter which cuts through sap and tar is the oil. I've used vegetable oils with equal success.
I currently have a problem with squirrels and chipmonks getting into the heating ducts in my house. I have a couple of Havahart traps baited with peanut butter. It works great! I would hate to see what the little ba*tards would do to tent material that smelled like peanut butter.

Dugan said:
I've found 3 things that work: nail polish remover, isopropyl alcohol, and peanut butter. I'm guessing the latter two would be safest for nylon.

Let us know which works best.
Isopropanol is most easily obtained as "rubbing alcohol" which is about 30% water. Won't work at all. Nail polish removers are frequently acetone based. Although many of the newer ones contain the adipate ester solvents which have fruity odors. Very low toxicity, low flammability, low volitility, but may damage the coatings. DEET will probably make a real mess.

Folks,

Easiest way to remove pine pitch is with any sort of edible oil, makes no difference which one. Hit it with a smear of butter, margarine, Crisco, veg oil, pick one. Rub a small amount into the pitch ( which will lose all its stickiness) and then wash up with soap and water.

Works on skin, hair, fur-friends, clothing, cars-- you name it. No need for chemistry experiments!

Breeze

Don't even bother with dish washing soap - been there, done that, doesn't help.

Seeing DougPaul's advice to let it dry reminds me of another. Put it in the freezer for a few hours. Crack off as much as possible before using a remover. I can't guarantee that protective coatings wouldn't crack off with the sap.

Paradox - I have used rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol) to successfully remove pine sap from both skin and cotton clothing.

I don't know if peanut butter works because it is oil soluble. I can say PB works in both human hair and dog fur.

I'd try oil first, since that seems like the least likely thing to cause damage. As for it smelling like food, wash and rinse the affected area several times before next using it.

I use a product called Goo-Gone on sticky smudges like price stickers, pine sap, and stubborn grease. The bottle says only that it contains petroleum distillates (must be a secret formula :rolleyes: ). Only suede, rubber, silk, and leather are to be avoided.

It's worked great for me for years.