please drive the limit in moose counrty

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Yes, I've said it before :rolleyes: Just a gentle, freindly reminder to all. Some may remember that I recently whined specifically about drivers flying around the curves on the Kancamagus, near Oliverian Brook, where moose and others commonly cross, as the signs warn. Guess what... There's a dead adult cow moose a few feet off the road in that excact place. She was thrown by the impact back into that little mud hole. She may have had calves.

So , just remember the moose and others when you drive.

happy trails :)

forestgnome said:
Yes, I've said it before :rolleyes: Just a gentle, freindly reminder to all. Some may remember that I recently whined specifically about drivers flying around the curves on the Kancamagus, near Oliverian Brook, where moose and others commonly cross, as the signs warn. Guess what... There's a dead adult cow moose a few feet off the road in that excact place. She was thrown by the impact back into that little mud hole. She may have had calves.

So , just remember the moose and others when you drive.

happy trails :)
Yes, don't speed. And also don't do like all the moose-peepers in Coos county do at this time of year and drive 10 miles per hour on Route 3 to see one of these wonders of nature.

Not too fast, not too slow - just right ;)

Papa Bear said:
Yes, don't speed. And also don't do like all the moose-peepers in Coos county do at this time of year and drive 10 miles per hour on Route 3 to see one of these wonders of nature.

Not too fast, not too slow - just right ;)

I never see anyone doing 10 mph, but I do see people creep along at about 20 or 30 mph in the breakdown lane. I do this often. If that is a problem, then you're going too fast. Relax. Rt. 3 is far from the city, and it's not a place to be in a hurry. It's not a concern if city folk from away are annoyed with the inconvenience.

Remember, you're on vcacation! Watch for animals and remember that some folks are hoping to see wildlife, and there's no emergancy. You can relax for the time being. You're on vacation. Is there really a problem when someone is driving slower than the speed to which you are accustomed back home? Take a breath and relax. Wildlife is depending on it.

forestgnome said:
I never see anyone doing 10 mph, but I do see people creep along at about 20 or 30 mph in the breakdown lane. I do this often. If that is a problem, then you're going too fast. Relax. Rt. 3 is far from the city, and it's not a place to be in a hurry. It's not a concern if city folk from away are annoyed with the inconvenience.

Remember, you're on vcacation! Watch for animals and remember that some folks are hoping to see wildlife, and there's no emergancy. You can relax for the time being. You're on vacation. Is there really a problem when someone is driving slower than the speed to which you are accustomed back home? Take a breath and relax. Wildlife is depending on it.
I'm talking 20 MPH max and in the travel lane (north of Pittsburg). With a long line of unhappy cars behind.

forestgnome said:
My guess is you've never heard of Massachusetts and that people from that state have cars.

I hate driving -- I despise every moment that I'm in the car. And while I think safety is extremely import both for myself, other drivers, pedestrians and wildlife, I'll drive like the biggest prick in the world to get where I'm going and get out of the miserable car as fast as possible. I have no tolerance for people driving slow.

And I'm not on vacation -- it's the freakin' weekend and I'm just glad not to be working.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
My guess is you've never heard of Massachusetts and that people from that state have cars.
Would some kind soul remind of exactly what we call these folks????

I am pretty sure it fits the pattern Massxxxxx, but for the life of me I cannot remember what the xxxxx is :D :D

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Would some kind soul remind of exactly what we call these folks????

I am pretty sure it fits the pattern Massxxxxx, but for the life of me I cannot remember what the xxxxx is :D :D
I remember when coming home from Baxter SP a few weeks ago a person had a sign in their car that said "F*ck Mass!" I thought that was pretty cool even though I'm a Massachusetts Resident.

Awww, I'm just messin' with y'all!! I never go above 10mph!

BTW, I got a 14/50 on yer Road Rage quiz, Mohamed!

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
GPS has made me realize that speeding (say 75 in a 65 mph speed limit) even over a hundred mile distance just does not save you much time. Compare that to the time spent sitting on the side of the road while the trooper writes up the ticket, or while the wrecker (or ambulance) collects the separated parts. (I got a 4 on the quiz.)

Road rage in moose country may get you an introduction to the "moose doc," which is what locals call ER physicians up here. I-93 exits 36-38 are especially notorious for moose, and they cross further north as well. Exit 40 was the site of a moose collision the other night that trapped four people in a car; all the humans sustained serious injuries, and the moose was a fatality. Drive defensively; don't tailgate in case the car in front of you collides with a moose.

If you have never encountered a moose at night when you are driving, be aware that they generally stop for nothing and that your headlight beams may be lower than their eyes so you won't see them until too late if you are driving too fast. They have a way of coming out of nowhere, it seems. During the day, if you see muddy tracks across a roadway, be careful: you are probably near a roadside wallow that attracts moose.

Last year Fish and Game picked up 40 moose carcasses from roadsides in the Bethlehem-Franconia area. There's at least one moose dump in this area to dispose of these carcasses. Humans go to the ER, or worse.

Moose are particularly active now in rut season.

Last edited:
rt. 116 too

There is a spot on rt. 116 near Easton where there's a little bog alongside the road. It is ONLY because I tend to drive slow there late at night that have I avoided hitting moose standing in the road on more than one occasion.

OK, I was cranky. The traffic on the Kancamagus was insane yesterday , as it will be all weekend. A big camper was trying pass a long line of cars that were already speeding. Another moose was hit, near Big Rock campground.

Waumbek, excellent post! Gris makes sense, as well.

There's nothing wrong with driving slowly. I never see any problems with people creeping along; we usually let people go as they come up behind us by pulling into the breakdown lane. I think it just seems like 10 mph when you're used to speeding. Besides, what harm is done when someone in front of you is going slower than you'd like?

driver inconvenience vs. life or death for the wildlife, and for the vehicle occupants...

>GPS has made me realize that speeding (say 75 in a 65 mph speed limit) even over a hundred mile distance just does not save you much time

Yeah, 75mph is for wimps - your risk of getting a ticket is almost nil. If you want to save significant time, you need to be doing at least 90. :)

Friday night on Rt. 16 between Milan and Errol I saw two small buses with some kind of Moose Tour logo on them. Both of them were doing about 10 in the travel lane while shining a spotlight into the woods. If you ask me, this is idiotic. I wish some people who lecture others about road rage would consider how their own slow driving contributes to the problem.

Pig Pen said:
Friday night on Rt. 16 between Milan and Errol I saw two small buses with some kind of Moose Tour logo on them. Both of them were doing about 10 in the travel lane while shining a spotlight into the woods. If you ask me, this is idiotic. I wish some people who lecture others about road rage would consider how their own slow driving contributes to the problem.

Not sure who you mean, but please explain how slow driving contributes to "the problem". The issue of this thread is dead moose. How does "slow" driving contribute.

Today I had a crowd of tourons crawling up my rear end and I was 5 mph over the limit at sunset.

forestgnome said:
Not sure who you mean, but please explain how slow driving contributes to "the problem". The issue of this thread is dead moose. How does "slow" driving contribute.

Today I had a crowd of tourons crawling up my rear end and I was 5 mph over the limit at sunset.

My bad. I was talking about the problem of road rage which is off topic. I apologize.

I agree that we need to be careful of moose. I drive route 16 from Milan to Errol to Rangeley quite often and I see a lot of moose on that stretch. I am consistently chicken to go over the speed limit, particularly around dusk and dawn.

However, I don't think it is appropriate for people to go 10 mph while shining a spot light in the woods, or to stop their cars in the middle of the road when they spot a moose. I have seen both of these actions too many times.

dr_wu002 said:
My guess is you've never heard of Massachusetts and that people from that state have cars. -Dr. Wu

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God was missing for six days. Eventually, Michael, the archangel, found him resting on the seventh day. He inquires of God, Where have you been? God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downward through the clouds. Look, Michael, look what I've made." Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, "What is it?" "It's a planet”, replied God, "and I've put life on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance." "Balance? " inquired Michael, still confused. God explained, pointing to different parts of the Earth, "For example, northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while southern Europe is going to be poor. The Middle East over there will be hot spot", God continued, pointing to different countries. "This one will be extremely hot and while this one will be very cold and covered with ice." The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to an area with mountains, lakes and forests, "What's that one?" “ Ah", said God, that's Maine, the most glorious place on earth. There are beautiful beaches, rivers, lakes, and mountains. The people from Maine are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous. They will be extremely sociable, hardworking, and high-achieving people, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace." Michael gasped in wonder and admiration, but then exclaimed, "What about balance, God? You said there would be balance! Everyone and everything seems so totally perfect in this place you call Maine." God replied wisely, "Wait until you see all the idiots I’m sending them every summer.........." :D

Funny! When I moved to NE, I always told my friends back home that Maine was where god lived--there and Fenway park.

:D