Pocket Rocket or Superfly?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrimarc

Reaction score
I received a Superfly as a gift this week(nice, huh?), and she said she bought it because it was the more expensive one, but she wasn't sure if i wanted the 2 oz. weight savings of the Pocket Rocket, and to go ahead and exchange it if i wanted. So...I think i am going to keep the Superfly because of the 4 pronged burner - i think that the stability will offset the weight, but i just wanted to hear any recommendations from the Board. FYI, i use a MSR stainless cookset, but i usually leave the 2 litre pot at home. Will the 3 prongs hold a smaller pot and lid(pan) well enough?

If anyone has used BOTH, obviously that would be ideal!

Thanks all!

RVT

Took me a minute to realize this thread wasn't related to the summit etiquette thread over at Q & As.

I use the Whisperlight which has three legs and found that stable, more so the heavier the weight on it, as long as it is positioned level on a stable base.

I have only used the Pocket Rocket (alas now residing at the Burlington VT airport).

Stability has never been a problem as long as you are carefull about placing the canister on a stable level spot. I would guess the number of prongs is less important than the stability of the canister. Whenever it "almost" tipped was when the canister was not on a stable spot (like when I put it on a rock which is not quite flat).

As for pots, I use the MSR Titanium "kettle" which holds I think .9 liters. This comes to 3 3/4 cups which is more than sufficient for my cooking style (boil in bag freeze dried).

If you want to drive to Burlington, you can have my Pocket Rocket since it would cost me more to get it shipped home than a new one :mad:

Pb

I have them both...

I got the superfly after my pocket rocket had a meltdown while cooking lobster. I ran it too long and it weakened the prongs and the weight of the pot bent them. We bent them back while they were still hot and it's still usable, but not as stable.

I got the superfly to replace it, it's a little more stable, plus it has the autostart feature.

Last edited:
I don't own a Pocket Rocket, but had the opportunity to use one about a month ago. There were four of us and I found it difficult to keep my larger 2 liter pot centered and stable. My smaller pot (1.5 liter) seemed to sit on the stove better. Cooking for 4 seemed a bit of a stretch for this stove and it took a long time to boil water in the 2 liter pot. I would probably get a Pocket Rocket if I were cooking for just myself and using smaller pots.

I just replaced my twister 270 HPZ stove with the Superfly. Although I have yet to field test it, I do like the weight and feel of the stove. I do have a small plastic three legged prong that connects to the bottom of the canister and keeps it level, so keeping a pot upright isn’t an issue.

At first i loved Pocket Rocket but the 3 prong instability is driving me nuts lately. And i'm having problems getting the match flakes cleaned out so that it doesn't flame up around the pot. It is amazingly fast though for something that light.

Any thoughts on making a stable alcohol stove? I know there are books and websites, but i believe y'all more.

Superfly, if it has the piezoelectric starter. Not having to deal with matches is very much worth the extra ounce, both in convenience and in safety (one less thing to forget to bring).

I haven't had stability problems, but I use a small pot. One thing I've found is that MSR's pots which have a finely corrugated bottom work best, as they really "lock in" and won't slide around. Smooth pots (like my little 0.9L titanium) are a little trickier.

I think we should all chip in and get Papabear a new pocket rocket! I got a kick out of reading of his distraught at the airport! :D