Pre 4000 Footer, 4000 Footer?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was news? The extent of her hiking... or that it was a feminine visitor?
I can imagine the croo at the lodge: "Hey man. There's a chick here! I haven't seen one of those since I left Boston"

That is amazing that way back then a women hiker did that much mountain hiking. They made them tough back then too I guess. Sweet. Thanks for sharing.

That was a pretty cool read! Thanks for sharing. I wonder what the most summits by any gender is?

THis book may be of interest Tales of Hiking and Exploration in the White Mountains from 1878 to 1886 as Seen Through the Eyes of Women

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Summers-Exploration-Mountains-Through/dp/0964880105

Forest and Crag discusses the formation of the trail networks in the whites and the early networks were built around areas where summer folks came to stay the entire summer. The trails were built to give them something to do. I would expect there were a lot of serial hikes back then.

The classic is the reported first Presi Traverse, a guest at a inn in Randolph did the traverse and planned to stay at one of the Crawford's establishments, he did not like the company at the inn so he walked home all in one hike.

What was news? The extent of her hiking... or that it was a feminine visitor?
I'll bet that even today there aren't many non-staffers who have climbed Mt Washington 61 times, and many of hers used long and difficult routes. And women hiking alone were less common in 1940 than today although certainly not unusual.

What I found more interesting is her claim to have climbed 48 different peaks, certainly no experienced hiker would consider that exceptional today. It just goes to show what the 4k Club has done to diversify peoples' hiking interests.