Presi traverse on march 29th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rejean

Reaction score
I plan to do a presi traverse on the 29th and I would appreciate having
some compagny. My plan is to leave a car at Crawford Notch and start
at Appalachia saturday morning around 4:00 am.

Plan A: full presi traverse

Plan B: hike until Franklin and back at Appalachia.

Good Luck Rejean, I would be happy to join but have some other plans that weekend. May the weather be with you :)

Mats

Hi! I'm a bit new, and I was wondering:
Is this a hike that takes one day or more? and
is this something a fairly new climiber in decent but not fantastic shape could do?

I'm dying to get some more hikes under my belt and have all the winter equipment I need, so if I can and work doesn't call me in, I'd love to go.

Thanks,

-

Robs,

The Presi Traverse in the winter is one of the toughest hikes in the east. I haven't hiked with Rejean, but I know he is hiking machine. I would suggest that you do some hikes in the Presidential Range in the summer time before you think about a Presi Traverse in the winter. If you want a real challange during the summer try a one day Presi Traverse in Mid to Late June when the days are longest. Then decide if you want to try a winter traverse.

Woody48 said:
Robs,

The Presi Traverse in the winter is one of the toughest hikes in the east. I haven't hiked with Rejean, but I know he is hiking machine. I would suggest that you do some hikes in the Presidential Range in the summer time before you think about a Presi Traverse in the winter. If you want a real challange during the summer try a one day Presi Traverse in Mid to Late June when the days are longest. Then decide if you want to try a winter traverse.[/QUOTE]

Woody if you think that I am one hiking machine you should see the
two who hike with me this weekend at Baxter state park. Pin Pin and
Oncoman, sunday we hike more than 30 miles and Pin Pin hike one
mtn (2 mils) more than me and he past me before the end of the hike.

trip report coming.... :)

Would you be hitting all the summits, or are you going up Air Line and across, without getting Madison and Washington?

Robs said:
Hi! I'm a bit new, and I was wondering:
Is this a hike that takes one day or more? and
is this something a fairly new climiber in decent but not fantastic shape could do?

I'm dying to get some more hikes under my belt and have all the winter equipment I need, so if I can and work doesn't call me in, I'd love to go.

Thanks,

-
Approx 20 miles with over 8000 feet of elevation gain, a huge chunk of it exposed, above treeline. Weather and how you prepare for it, is as much a factor in completing this trip as your fitness level. I'll be carrying 40 lbs just for this dayhike.

Update for the traverse.

I had to postponed the traverse for another time, maybe sunday
the 30 th or in April. My son had a end off year party for is fast
skating club....

My plan for the traverse is to follow valley way and summit only
washington and go down by crawford path. I just want to be
above treeline for a very long time. :) :)

Presi Traverse postponed

I had to cancel my attemp due to bad weather condition
too windy and lots of ice on the ridge

I will make a new post in April

A good idea to wait a bit - It is super icy in the Presidentials - here's a shot from Tuesday (25th):
CrawfordPath.jpg

Bring real crampons, and make sure they are sharp - lots of places where a slip could be nasty, even on the mild-mannered Crawford Path!