Presidentials in Late December

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking for 1 or 2 people to join myself and one other experienced winter backpacker for an attempt on Mt. Washington, and perhaps some of the other presidentials. I am kind of working my way up with the Winter High Points in the Northeast. Last year was Marcy, so looks like Washington is the next logical step. Hoping for a strong group to increase our likelyhood of success.

Dates are Dec 28->Dec 30 firm. May drive up on Dec 27th in the evening if that makes sense. Car pool if possible.

Right now I am interested in climbing Washington via the dry river trail, with a possible add-on of Monroe. This gives us Lakes of the Clouds Hut as an emergency "bolt hole." The return route takes us to Boot Spur Via the crossover trail, and finally Davis path for the return. Here are a few pictures of the route in summer. http://www.percious.com/hiking/WMNF - Monroe - Washington - Sept 2005/index.html
This is just one possibility, I am open to other approaches. Anyone rather do 6 husbands?

We have all necessary tentage and stove-age, so you only need personal gear including very warm boots, an ice axe, and crampons. Knowledge of self arrest important, but can be learned "on the trail". Experience desirable. You are welcome to bring whatever you want of course, it would be good to have community gear/food shared to reduce weight.

-percious

Last edited:
Re Dry River approach:
Perhaps you are aware that the bridge is still out. When I was in there several winters ago, the river was too high to cross. There was no evidence of anyone else--we had to break the entire route. Also some of the routes up to the southern Prezzies are avalanche prone. Isolation Tr will most likely be safe.

Doug

After visiting Oaks Gulf this summer I got the impression that the route was fairly protected from an avalanche standpoint. Further information would be valuable.

I am aware of the bridge out over Dry river. We easily navigated the river without the bridge this summer. My experience with the Adirondacks is that the rivers snow/ice over in the winter, making them easily crossable. Is this not the case in the whites?

-percious

percious said:
After visiting Oaks Gulf this summer I got the impression that the route was fairly protected from an avalanche standpoint. <snip> My experience with the Adirondacks is that the rivers snow/ice over in the winter, making them easily crossable. Is this not the case in the whites?
I think the Dry River Tr goes up a zone frequented by the advanced ski crowd. (If it is steep enough for them to be interested, it is usually steep enough to avalanche...) Check with them. Don't know about the Eisenhower Tr.

When we hiked Dry River Tr a few winters ago, the river did not look crossable at the bridge site. And no, it wasn't frozen. A pretty good flow, too. Only know what conditions were when we were there--don't know what is normal.

Doug

I know that the dry river trail skirts 1 section of the gulf that in the summertime looked as if it would be a good ski (hence avalanche prone) in the winter. The trail takes you over to the far left, and along some ledges, following a number of cairns. I would imagine the skiers would be partial to using the gully.

One of the reasons I chose this route was that it offered protection from the wind, all the way up until you reach the ridge. I saw this as being an advantage over some of the routes starting from the other side of the ridge.

-percious

Last edited:
Weighing in on avalanche risk in Oakes Gulf: yes, it is definitely avalanche terrain. While the Main and Central gullies are prime ski destinations, there are also significant snowfields (both above and on the headwall) that are also ski/avalanche terrain. Remember the snow forecasters' motto: if the snowfield is big enough to recreate on, it is big enough to slide. Just because a summer trail with cairns exists does not definitively prove that there will be no avalanche risk. Remember too that you may be exposed to avalanches cutting from above -- it would be wise to learn enough about avalanches to understand alpha angles, runouts, terrain traps, and triggers. The summer trail might avoid trigger zones (which I doubt), but it might run underneath a natural trigger.

It seems to be down right now, but the Canadian (of course!) Avalanche Association has a great free online course that at least exposes you to the concepts in question:
http://http://access.jibc.bc.ca/avalancheFirstResponse/

This doesn't mean that the route needs to be avoided. Personally, I wouldn't go into known or likely avalanche country without understanding risk avoidance, the Holy Trinity (beacon/shovel/probe) and the knowledge to use them all.

It should be a great trip!