Presidetial Traverse, Feb 14-16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend and I are planning to attempt a three-day presidential traverse next weekend. Starting Saturday morning, finishing some time on Monday afternoon, weather permitting.

It would be great if we had at least one other backpacker joining us, both for safety, and also for car spotting. Two or more would be great as well. There's not just safety in numbers, it's also more interesting.

Plan is to go north to south.

If the weather looks really bad, we may see if there's a good day to attempt a one-day. But as it is, the goal is to spend two nights on the ridge because, hey, it's fun!

We have a three-person tent, and stoves.

If you're interested, please post and we can have a get-to-know each other off line.

Brian

It's such a hard thing to do with two people, because the chances of getting three days of low winds are not high, and it's nice to have at least a third car at the bottom of Ammonoosuc in case we have to bail.

On the other hand, it's a great challenge, and if one lucks out with the weather, the views are tremendous and there's a nice sense of accomplishment--or so I have heard!

Brian

have fun!! This looks like the weekend to do it based on what I am seeing weatherwise! looks like you have at least sat and sunday possibly bluebird...

I admit, this sounds tempting - but I am feeling the gravitational pull of some ravine climbing this weekend - not often in winter, you get the combo of low avy (making a guess they will be low on sat/sun)and decent weather on a weekend - it looking possible both may happen both days. only wildcard is wind.

good luck!

Last edited: