Problem with Gregory Pack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonadnockVol

Reaction score
FYI: I bought the new Gregory Baltoro pack during this October's 20% off sale at EMS. I used it three times and loved it. Pros: It has that great Gregory suspension and plenty of room. Cons: No daisy chain and few tie on spots for snowshoes, crampons, etc.

Then the fourth time I put it on, I went to fasten the sternum strap and ... no sternum strap. The sternum straps are attached to the shoulder strap via a clip-on slider mechanism whose purpose is to allow the sternum strap to be placed at different heights along the shoulder strap. Mine apparently "adjusted" itself right off and onto the ground. EMS is ordering me a new sternum strap but in the meantime I'm using my old Kelty. :(

Gregory G Pack '05 Problems too!

I have the Gregory G Pack myself, and have had a few problems myself. It is the '05 model, got in the late winter, used it for a few overnighters in the summer, some winter day hikes, and have had three of the 5 cinch down straps on the top pocket come undone! Once when I was out for a few days.

Luckily though I have a friend with an industrial sewing machine, so after the third one that just went this weekend, I will have him re-enforce all of them. They all came out the same way, the thread just came undone from cinching the top pocket down, then the little webbing tab that holds the one end of the buckle worked it's way out of the seam.

It is made for ultralight hikers, I have never loaded it over 25lbs, but I must have tightened the straps more then I should have. More of a hassle then anything.

I know I could have/should have sent it back, but when you have the machine 5 minutes from home, what the heck. Still, a great pack, my opinion, it carries great, I love the suspension on it.

Kevin