prospect mtn lk george trailhead?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Dont have a trail description for this hike so I don't know how to get there. Saw it on adk.com online map. My topo software says it is a 1500 foot climb and pretty steep. Would like to do it this weekend but do not know where trailhead is located. Any one know anything about this one?

Adk_dib said:
Dont have a trail description for this hike so I don't know how to get there. Saw it on adk.com online map. My topo software says it is a 1500 foot climb and pretty steep. Would like to do it this weekend but do not know where trailhead is located. Any one know anything about this one?

If you get off at Exit 21 of I-87 and take 9 North, you will come to the park entrance on the left. There is actually a walk-way over the Northway from the Park. There are other ways to get to the top, and there is also a discussion of Prospect over on:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440

When downtown Lake George just take any street west until you reach the northway then follow the road south to the bridge over the northway and park there. You can also follow Big Hollow Road from north of the village to the parking lots just below the summit. Another way is from the recreation center near the transfer station on 9N. Walk to the back of the ski trails and follow the old road that leads "out of bounds". This road is much more overgrown than Big Hollow but still easy to follow up to the parking lots.

ADKJeff,

Good precise description of the trailhead. Thanks!

The trail is marked, which also helps.

It should be noted that the trail crosses the auto road once, about .5 miles up, and then comes out onto the auto road again near the summit. When the trail comes out onto the auto road near the summit, that's the end of the trail. To reach the actual summit, cross the road and scramble up the bank and through the picnic area.

A couple watchouts:

When crossing the road, watch for traffic. Cars are common during the day in the summer. In the evening, there can be bike traffic, and the downhill bikes can be coming silently at 50+ mph. Look carefully!

A place where people commonly get off the trail is just after it crosses the auto road the first time. The trail steps up the rock bank, then swings left for about 100 feet, then back right for a couple hundred feet, then goes straight up hill for a couple hundred feet, and then swings back abruptly left. Pay attention to the markers in this section.

I used to use the Prospect trail for race training. Years ago, I had a pretty large group of co-workers who would run the trail as a time trial. We would start at the round clearing on the left, just up the sand hill and inside the woods after you cross the Northway bridge. Our finish point was where the trail came out onto the auto road near the top. Just thinking about it gets me motivated to go back and run it again!

TCD