Q: Can I use the German Hollow lean-to?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Answer: NO!

I just read this on another board:

"I just wanted to give everyone an FYI about the German Hollow lean-to. If you could please spread the word so no one goes and is disappointed when they get there.

Some time over the winter (likely in the Jan rain/wind storm) not just one but 6 trees came down and crushed the German Hollow Lean-to and it has been completely destroyed! The lean-to can not be used in it current condition and is dangerous to go around due to all the splintered wood and metal from the roof so please spread the word that it is gone and should be avoided.

Catskill Lean-to Supervisor "

Glad no one was in it! :eek:

Sure you can use it---

for firewood :eek:

Maybe I shouldn't say that--and give some idiot some ideas for a bonfire.

Are you sure no one was in it?
Admittedly the eye witness report is not definitive on that point, but I would have to believe the reporter, who is the Catskill lean-to chair, would have walked around sufficiently for a view to verify that no one was inside. There have also been no missing hiker reports. No telling what became of the resident mice.

I seem to remember that the German Hollow lean-to was in a conifer grove. There are several plantations of Norway spruce in the general area, but according to Dr. Kudish's book all of those plantations are on the opposite side of the Huckleberry Brook, and also another one near Ploutz Road. Had the lean-to been in a Norway spruce plantation one might conclude; "beware the trees bearing an ancestral grudge". But as eastern hemlock is a native American species there would be reason to believe they would have a grudge against the Palatines. It was apparently just an inevitable time and chance demolition.

I remember it being close to a tight switchback on the trail that descends from the Dry Brook Range trail, not too far from Patapakakktkakakkaakaaktan mountain. Sorry, I forget the spelling of that name, so I just butchered it. :)

Jay

BTW, this has nothing to do with the German Holow lean-to but another one of concern.

The Bisquit Brook lean-to is right in the path of a huge fir tree that has been rotting at the base for many years and looks like it's ready to come down on the lean-to any day now, if it hasn't already. Perhaps a skilled person with a saw can do a precision drop before someone gets killing in it? Oh and the roof has a few leaks.

Anyone been by there recently?

Let me know when you guys are building again? I'd like to help.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the German Holow lean-to but another one of concern.

The Bisquit Brook lean-to is right in the path of a huge fir tree that has been rotting at the base for many years and looks like it's ready to come down on the lean-to any day now, if it hasn't already. Perhaps a skilled person with a saw can do a precision drop before someone gets killing in it? Oh and the roof has a few leaks.

Anyone been by there recently?

Let me know when you guys are building again? I'd like to help.
Please contact the DEC for the old tree. As for lean-to work, send me your email address...

E-mail address sent.

What is the DEC contact for the tree? It really looked bad when I was last there in the Fall. I hope it didn't come down on the lean-to with the crazy weather n winds.