Question for Banff / Jasper veterans

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

For those who've been to Banff and/or Jasper...We're considering either August or September (after Labor Day). We'll be doing dayhikes. No backpacking. Wife is slightly tent-phobic and extremely grizzly-phobic. Strange girl ;) . I'd appreciate any feedback from those who've gone there around this time and whether you prefer August or September. Some of the factors I've heard and read about that are going to affect our decision:
-- weather (temp and amount of precip)
-- daylight hours
-- do some of the services get reduced after Labor Day (shuttles, ranger programs, etc.)? BTW, does Canada even have Labor Day?
-- do some of the trails have a minimum number of hikers per group rule (4?) for trails that are frequented by grizzlies?
-- do they have foliage like we do?
-- hotel/motel tips

Please comment on these and any other factors (besides crowds, obviously) that would make August better or worse than September. Thank you.

p.s. Is Canada's electrical AC power at 60Hz as America's is? Or do I need to get an adapter to re-charge camera batteries, cell phone, etc?

There are some trails (Morraine Lake area) where group size is 6 minimum. What you do is wait at the TH for other people to show up and when you have a group of 6 going your way off you go. You must maintain a minimum distance between hikers so if you get in a slow group just too bad. Once above tree-line the groups tend to dissociate but you need to make sure you get back to a good rallying point while there are still people around so you can form a new group. I have heard the fines are astronomical if you get caught disobeying the rule.

I worked out there for a number of years and have since gone back in the months of July, Aug, Sept, and Oct. They all have their pros and cons. Check daylength and ave. temperature charts. The days get shorter very quickly but are very long to begin with. If I was going back in the near future and had to choose between Aug and Sept I would go for Aug. for the day length and (hopefully) warmer weather. We hit a fair bit of SNOW up high in early Sept a couple of years ago and got snowed on on nearly every hike we did over a 2 week period. You'll have bigger crowds of course but if you want I can give you a few choice hikes with little to no people. Some hikes that are more crowded are well worth it anyway because they are so eye-poppingly beautiful. The Wiwaxy Gap-Lake Oesa-Opabin Plateau-AllSoul's traverse in Lake O'Hara is one such example. You will need to set up a bus reservation for the O'hara Road well in advance unless they still leave a few seats open for last minute people, in which case you can go with the weather because that hike would suck in a whiteout! You can dayhike or camp at the L. O'Hara campground. Excellent tent sites, water, food lockers, 2 cookhouses, lots of firewood. Let me know just how adventurous you want to make the trip and I can suggest something you'll enjoy.

We've been twice in September (both the weekend of Labor Day and the week after).

-- weather (temp and amount of precip)

Both times we have gotten a mix of good weather and snow. When we went last year we were there for two weeks and the first week there were near record highs (high 70s). During the last week we got snow. It can really run the gamut.

-- daylight hours

I would look up a chart with the official amount of daylight. I don't remember exact numbers, but when we were there I felt we had sufficient daylight for what we wanted to do.

-- do some of the services get reduced after Labor Day (shuttles, ranger programs, etc.)? BTW, does Canada even have Labor Day?

Canadian Labor Day is the same date as our Labor Day. Some services do get reduced, but we never had a problem. A lot less crowded after Labor Day and we didn't have to have reservations for campgrounds, which was nice for flexibility for us.

-- do some of the trails have a minimum number of hikers per group rule (4?) for trails that are frequented by grizzlies?

Some trails might be closed and some trails might have a minimum hiker rule (6). The first year we were there the Bald Hills trail in Jasper was closed due to grizzly activity, but it was open last year. Both times we were there was a restriction on hikers around Moraine Lake. But Sentinel Pass/Eiffel Lakes, etc are popular hikes, so it's not hard to get a group. The only caveat is that we found that in general people didn't get very early starts there. We were up early and had to wait an hour near the trailhead to get more people.

-- do they have foliage like we do?

Not quite like we do. The areas where we were had mostly pine. The larch pine does change colors though and in September we saw at the higher elevations some of the larch starting to turn. We also saw some aspen (I think that's what it was) turning yellow. But we didn't see any orange or red.

-- hotel/motel tips

Sorry, can't be of any help on this one. We backpacked most of the time and stayed in campgrounds the rest of the time. But do visit the Bear's Paw Bakery in Jasper. Very good. :)

-- p.s. Is Canada's electrical AC power at 60Hz as America's is? Or do I need to get an adapter to re-charge camera batteries, cell phone, etc?

We didn't need an adaptor.

Which ever you decide, it'll be a great trip!

dvbl said:
Don't know about Labor Day, but a number of things shut down on Columbus Day (US) (Thanksgiving (C)).

Doug

Motels/hotels = very expensive. For less than premium rates try Deer Lodge in Lake Louise or Baker Creek Cabins on the 1A between L.L and Banff. Also, Wapta Lodge on the Transcanada highway. There is a hotel in Field BC but I've never checked it out.

I've been to Banff in July,August & September and it depends on the year. I've hit it warmer in Sept than in July. It changes alot, like New England.

There are lots of day hike trails, and some great books out there with info around Banff & Jasper. You can also go to the Forest Service Center in downtown Banff, they have great maps and good info on current grizzley activity before you drive to a hike and find out it's closed. The higher peaks have lots of scree! Cascade & Rundle are right outside of town and amazing hikes with views. Sulfur is a great small hike and you can ride the Gondola down for a small fee. Expect snow on all of the higher hikes, but maybe just spotty, depends on year. Bring warm cloths and layers!

We hiked quite a few of the trails heading up to Jasper before the Icefields last year and they were beautifull and not hard hikes. Don't forget the elevation difference, it may take a few days to adjust.

The fines for hiking in areas with group limits are taken very serious, last year was a bad year for grizzley attacks. The fines are up to $2000, and they partrol the areas. Banff had to re-locate a few Grizzley last year from the town area, closing some of the local areas.

I have a picture of a sign w/fees. I'll attach.

Have a great trip, you can't go wrong with any hike you do. Rent bikes and do some riding, tons of trails with beautifull views! Hike up to one of the teahouses at Lake Louise and read up on the history of them and enjoy the Six Glaciers while sipping tea!

I'm heading up in March for a ski trip, can't wait! Can't help with hotel info, I stay with friends who live there.

Attached is a link to a few shots & the bear warning sign!

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=momdar&P=&AID=4267110&Pres=Y

Latest posts