Quickest, Easiest Way to Learn How to Use a Compass

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
OK, I've admitted it.....I don't know how to use a compass. It's a bit embarassing for me, so bear with me here :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's finally time to learn. Anybody have a suggestion for the quickest & easiest way to learn? I was thinking of taking a 1-hour REI class, but if there is an incredible online tutorial, I'd much rather do that.

Thanks!

roadtripper said:
OK, I've admitted it.....I don't know how to use a compass. It's a bit embarassing for me, so bear with me here :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's finally time to learn. Anybody have a suggestion for the quickest & easiest way to learn? I was thinking of taking a 1-hour REI class, but if there is an incredible online tutorial, I'd much rather do that.

Thanks!

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/nava.php

Bjorn Hjellstrom's "Be Expert with Map and Compass" book is a great little read with some pretty decent practice exercises. Plus he goes in depth on the three basics: Just map, just compass, and both map and compass together.

Brian

P.S. I printed out the article rhihn posted months ago......another good read with great tips and info.

Guess I'll have to disagree: you can learn the basic techniques from a book etc. But you should practice them in the field and make sure that you understand them.

Remember you may be under duress when you use the compass--practice is most important when your ability to think is at its worst.

Doug

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I do not believe that you can learn anything useful about using a compass at home; you must learn in the field.
I'm with Doug on this one, Mohamed.

We all have different modes of learning, and some of us can be self-taught using books, printed materials, etc. Others need a lecturer/classroom setting.

So ... if you're the type would can learn from just reading and doing, either buy some of the books mentioned here, or do a few Googles searches, including 'orienteering', and then head into a nearby field, park, etc and practice. Don't need to be in the woods to learn basic skills. As for maps - drill down into your local area using Mapquest or Yahoo, print off some maps and use them to plot courses for known points. Then, go out and use the compass to navigate to that point.

This may seem a little simple-minded, but it isn't - there's not alot of difference between plotting a course from a known starting point to a mountain top versus plotting a course from a known starting point to a the steeple of the RC church a mile away.

I would also learn the terrain features on the map. I feel this is just as important - if not more imprtant that knowing the compass.

hill, river, saddle, gully, ridge, etc..

Kevin Rooney said:
... So ... if you're the type would can learn from just reading and doing, either buy some of the books mentioned here, or do a few Googles searches, including 'orienteering', and then head into a nearby field, park, etc and practice. Don't need to be in the woods to learn basic skills.
I've been teaching the navigation portion of a wilderness guide training course for the past 15 years, using techniques as described in Dick's referenced article. The reading and "classroom" portion is for getting terminology down, understanding how to hold, read, and orient a compass, and for map preparation and terrain study. Discussion of philosophy on what navigation is all about, and the recreational and the survival aspects. Lots of "book" information in this phase, and for the inexperienced it can be a tough haul to absorb it all. Motivation helps.

Transition then to local outside practice of putting the skills just learned all together. Putz around, making it as interesting as possible, but being in familiar surroundings still feels like reading it from a book. We're making sure the basic techniques give interpretable results here. It doesn't yet feel "real" enough though.

Finally it's the actual field test, where they go out on a multi-day wilderness practical, leading a group into the unknown backcountry. I'm just along as an observer of the process. A little precision nav on the trail. Navigation gradually ends up off trail as a confidence builder on a major point to point bushwhack with all the unexpected obstacles. Dynamic terrain observation and relationships with map and compass. Make mistakes, learn how to recognize them early and quickly recover. Verify and understand the more complex aspects. This is the fun part, where it's amazing to watch how it all finally sinks in and "clicks". Hey, this stuff really is fun and it actually works. If they've paid attention, by the end of the week the students could navigate me to anywhere (and back). :D

Those are the learning phases.... concept (book) study, practice skills close to home, then head out into the woods for real. The learning never stops after that.

Last edited:
Remember that you can start your "field" practice in a field (like your nearest school sports field). Field practice doesn't have to start in thick woods. Admittedly a field will not help you learn terrain features. But you can try your ability at pure basic compass work. Set a bearing, follow it our and then follow a back azimuth back; test your precision. Follow a triangular course in a field; practice sighting on distant objects, etc.

compass website

Here's a pretty good site with some lessons. It belongs to a kid in Norway, of all places.
http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/

He has some compass-related links, too.
I also recommend the Land Navigation Handbook by W.S. Kals, published by the Sierra Club. Mine is an old edition so the info on choosing a compass is dated, but the basic info doesn't change. Amazon shows the old (1983) edition I have, but the Sierra Club has a new edition on their website and I'd recommend getting the newer one. The new one covers GPS too.

Last edited:
I like the site that TomD linked us to. Minimal mumbo-jumbo, with very clear instructions regarding compass fundamentals. I especially liked the tips on using or combining non-compass directional clues with the compass to navigate.

As always, practice makes perfect.

(But as music teachers say, it is perfect practice that makes perfect. If you practice doing something the wrong way, you may get very good at doing it the wrong way!)

So read and absorb the basic instructions, then go for a walk on familiar ground applying your compass "lessons" as you go. That will get you started.

G.

yes, however, some people will tell you in a survival situation, when you are not sure of where you are, it is getting dark, you are cold and wet and the temps are dropping, the map is a chart of lies and the compass doesn't work and if you go thata way over that ridge you will get to your car. :confused: :eek:

map and compass is good, but nowing how to keep yourself in the right mind set without panic is important.

Agree with all. We used to offer a map and compass workshop at my outing club.
On Friday evening we'd have a 2-3 hour session at the map table, show them the basics, declination, azimuth, and have them plot a route up one of the lesser, trailless Catskill peaks that we knew had no herd paths to follow and open woods. They each would plot a general route from the point we wanted to start to the summit, and then over to a 35er peak.

On Saturday, we'd rotate the leader, letter each take turns leading the route. Sometimes having the person in front followe their bearing, and also showing how the leader follows the easiest course thats generally on the bearing, while #2 in line keeps them on course.

Worked very well and they could see how what they learned the evening before translated to the field, and what something on a map looks like when you're actually out there.
Right now, I'm learning how to use a GPS. My map with the bearings generally stay in the pack, as I try and improve my rookie GPS skills. Really fun.

Last edited:
Orienteering

Want to become an expert at map and compass? Got to a local Orienteering Club event and ask.

For those in Eastern Mass, the schedule is at www.neoc.org. For Southern New Hampshire, google "Up North Orienteers."

Latest posts