rattlers gone to sleep yet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Looking to do north end of tounge mtn range this thurs. I will have my dog with me so i was wondering if the snakes have hibernated yet. Also, what is the snow like over there. this past weekend it was 60 degree's and green grass when I left utica area. when I got to maplecrest there were 3-4 inches of standing snow! I thought when you go south it gets warmer? :confused:

In the midwest, where I grew up, we had a few timber rattlers, but mostly diamondbacks. In general rattlesnakes seek their dens to hibernate once the temps begin to drop below freezing at night, but they do emerge from their dens sometimes even in the winter on warm days if the temperature reaches the upper 50's or 60's.

While it's possible to encounter a rattler this time of year on a sunny 60 degree day, especially on rocky ledges, I seriously doubt you would ever see one in the snow.

Hope this is of some help.

Rattlers!

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
In general rattlesnakes seek their dens to hibernate once the temps begin to drop below freezing at night, but they do emerge from their dens sometimes even in the winter on warm days if the temperature reaches the upper 50's or 60's.

While it's possible to encounter a rattler this time of year on a sunny 60 degree day, especially on rocky ledges, I seriously doubt you would ever see one in the snow.

If you do encounter a rattler at this time of year, it will be very sluggish. It takes a long time, even on sunny ledges to warm their blood up to "operating" temperature at this time of year!

Fred

Garter, not Rattler...

I saw a big fat garter snake last week with a big mousy lump in the middle. It was about 50 degrees and sunny, and I could pick him up and move him around before he even woke up.

Maybe that's helpful....

Good luck,

--M.

I saw two rattlesnakes in the Anza Borrego desert in southern California the week before last. A first for me! I've never seen a rattler in the east.

Rattlers

I know that many of us are concerned when it comes to these snakes- but if it is any reassurance my experiences with them do not support rattlesnakes as being aggressive. Their hunting behavior is geared towards creatures much smaller then us and they will strike at a human or dog only if we get too close and after they have tried to warn us off. I have encountered them many times in my travels and if I get too close to them I get the warning- the buzzing dry rattle sound- and then I know to steer clear of that location. I have never seen one after Labor Day and rarely before Memorial Day- not in the NE. I know that they will generally move off if someone does blunder onto them. They are usual well concealed and one must work at seeing one.

If your concern is mostly for your pet- then I recommend that you always keep your dog on a leash. On public land and trails this is the law. Leashing your dog will allow you to control it's behavior and keep it safe. I know alot of people feel that their dog has an almost God-given right to run free- but this stance can lead to the dog being injured.