Rattlesnake Mountain (Rumney) 4/21/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
rattlesnake-4-22-10-3a.jpg

Dutchman's Breeches Dicentra cucullaria

For those who don't follow Emma's adventures this is probably of little interest, but to those who do, I'm sure you will be glad to know that she is back on the trail! After a successful hike to Mount Major and Straightback Mountain on Sunday with her mom, I decided to hike something a little more difficult yesterday. On the advice of one of the best photographers I know we headed to Rattlesnake Mountain in Rumney. I had been told that the climber's parking lot was a great place to shoot wildflowers, and indeed it was! I wish I had gone a week or so earlier as many were already starting to fade, a sign that this incredibly early spring is beginning to pass into an early summer.

After an impatient Emma allowed me to shoot away in the parking area, we set out to find a hiking trail which I knew led to the summit, but I was unaware as to where the trailhead could actually be. Signage in the parking lot gave no clue, although all the major rock-climbing routes were extremely well mapped. With some solicited advice we set off down the road a piece to where we found some stairs that led up and we began our hike. The trails led into a tremendous boulder field below the cliffs, but then petered out. Undeterred, we picked our way, yes, bushwhacked, along the ridge, just far enough away from the edge of the cliffs that my heart wasn't in my mouth when Emma ventured in that direction.

rattlesnake-4-22-10-18a.jpg

Emma cools down in a nice mudhole on the summit.

We eventually found the actual trail near the summit and followed across the bare rock expanse, enjoying the views of the Baker River Valley below us and the beautiful shapes of Carr and Stinson Mountains to our north and northeast. Near the summit we found Bluets and Early Saxifrage and found that the Hobblebush was beginning to bloom. Near the cliffs we watched as a Peregrine Falcon rose on the thermals and gave us a flyby. It was beautiful spring warmth with a nice breeze that kept the blackflies at bay.

rattlesnake-4-22-10-19a.jpg

Emma takes in the view of Stinson Mountain on this lovely day!

On the summit we could see the destruction caused by wildfires of a few years previous, but things certainly seem to be on the mend. Nature's resiliency is such a marvel! I was pretty warm at this point, but couldn't imagine what it felt like to make this climb in a fur coat. Emma found herself a nice big muck puddle an jumped right in. Muck could be her favorite thing and she ducked her face right in! Once her body temp got back to manageable she climbed back out and had a good shake, obviously refreshed! we followed the trail back down and had a one mile roadwalk back to the car.

rattlesnake-4-22-10-21a.jpg

Trailing Arbutus (Mayflower) Epigaea repens

It's been seven or eight weeks since she injured herself and at her age the mending is a slow process. We didn't help things with a couple of big hikes before we realized the extent of her injury, but she seems to be on the mend. Today she seemed no worse for having made this hike, so we'll try again Saturday. We've all been itching for some quality mountain time!

Complete set of pictures here.

KDT

Last edited:
Thanks!

Emma got hurt on one of our weekly excursions we call "Dog Day Afternoon" where we take 4 other dogs and her to a local farm and let them run and sniff. She ay have torn a ligament or muscle in her right rear leg when she slipped on ice while scuffling with the other dogs. She seems to be on the mend.

Usually Judy gets the clean-up duties with her. :D

PS: Only had a moment to peek at your current TR's, will enjoy them fully when I have the time!

KDT

Nice Tr Kevin. Love the muddy Emma shot.

Rattlesnake in Rumney! Never heard of it. Is it near the big boulders where rock climbers practice?? Could you tell us how to get there?

Thanks again!

Yes, it is where the rock climbers climb! If you take 3/25 into Rumney and turn towards Rumney Village you cross over the Baker River. Turn left on Buffalo Road (near the library) follow this down until you see the climber's lot on your right. From there the trailhead is another 1.5 -2 miles down the road on the right, well marked as Rattlesnake Mtn. Trail.

KDT

Thanks for your post, specifically your picture of the Dutchman's Breeches. I observed plenty of them today on my hike up Plymouth Mtn, and was stumped as to what they were until now.

Rattlesnake is a great little local hike in the Plymouth area. The wildfires burnt 2 summers ago I believe, I remember looking up at night from Rt. 25 and it looked like part of the sky was on fire. Result of a careless campfire, I had a buddy up there fighting it for a day or two as it burned.

Glad to hear Emma is on the mend

Hi Kevin,

It was great to meet you a couple of weeks back. I didn't realize Emma had been injured, but it's good to hear she's on the mend. Rattlesnake Mountain looks like a fun hike.

Rattlesnake in Rumney! Never heard of it. Is it near the big boulders where rock climbers practice?? Could you tell us how to get there?
There is (or at least was in April 2008) a separate small hikers trailhead, completely separate, and at some distance, from the climbers trailhead. Directions to Rattlesnake trailhead. Complete loop is 2.5 miles with 1,000 feet of elevation gain. Can, of course, be combined with nearly Stinson Mountain (1.8 miles each way, 1,400 feet elevation gain) for a more satisfying workout.

There is still a small hiker's lot. Its up the road from the big climber's lot. The trail from that lot is nice, easy to follow, and a good workout for a short hike. As far as views to effort ratio - this one's a gem. When you get to the loop at the top, go right first and you'll be climbing up the ledges rather than down them. Plus, when you get to the first set of ledges, you can look straight out and down and see my ponies in the field :)

Hiking?

I bushwhacked to the top, then followed the trail I was looking for down to the parking area. The trailhead is probably close to 2 miles west on Buffalo Road from the climber's lot.

I think I went wrong when I asked some climbers where the trailhead was, silly me...:D

Anyway, yes, it's one of those great bang for the buck hikes, by trail, great views, minimal effort, and you never know who might top out while you're there. I was lookin' for Leaf, Nif and Darl, all I got was some flowers and a muddy dog...;)

KDT

Last edited: