Reckless endangerment of impressionable children -- the sequel

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
Last edited:
So...what's the intended course of this thread. Kids are outside. Great! I support that.

But I read the earlier thread, and I didn't have any problem with it. I think if you want the thread discussion to go in a particular direction, you need to say what it is you want to talk about, and not just toss out an interesting link.

Again, no problem with either thread, and I love to see the kids outside. Just not sure what the problem was........

The program sounds fascinating. As a parent, I would be happy to send my kids to a program that encouraged the love of the outdoors and an ability to adapt to changing weather conditions... oh, wait a minute... that's part of why I hike with them ;) Silly me.
No, really, I think the program sounds great - and I love the term "nature-deficit disorder" - and I don't think its just kids that suffer from it.

I have a strange feeling that many here with kids (or nieces/nephews) do this already with their kids. I am outside all the time with my girls. Before moving to GA we hiked almost weekly in NH, walked daily in the forest year round. Since moving we do not hike as much but spend many hours outside, exploring the creek next to our house, tracking animals, catching lizards and the list goes on.

It is the responsibility of the parent (or guardian) to make sure their child is getting an education. And not just the stuff they learn in the class. Go to a zoo, the beach, a battleground etc..........

When I was a kid (sometimes I still feel that way) there was no "tv babysitter" after school or on the weekends. I went outside and "played" Learned to do things, make things, destroy things:eek: The program mentioned sounds more like they are doing what I did in the 70's growing up but are charging for it. They found a niche for a buisness. Good for them.

Interesting link. I know my daughter would LOVE it. I think kids are naturally drawn to the outdoors, but many don't get the exposure.

Interesting link. I know my daughter would LOVE it. I think kids are naturally drawn to the outdoors, but many don't get the exposure.

100 % agree.

Since we are all part of nature, it is clear as to why children are drawn towards it. In my opinion, it is unfortunate that the world we live in today fails to encourage us to live in world we were luckily given. Instead, we are forced to become "one" or "in tune" with nature. I think that is the issue. Sadly, I struggle with this often. But I know I love the outdoors. But sometimes I forget.

I have read both threads, and the appropriate linked articles, and I can definitely see the positives and negatives of these Waldorf schools. The actual classroom subjects don't seem that far off to what public schools strive to have.(whether that is good or bad is obviously another thread for another website :) ) Of course there always has to be a happy medium at schools for things to work for all kids. So perhaps there is too much outdoors time for some, or too little work/reading for others. I wonder if these programs have modifications for those kids.

Overall, I have to agree with the philosophy of these schools. I think they are a good idea in the society of today.

grouseking

I have a problem with this...

It sounds like too damn much fun! ;) I'd be looking to sign myself up.

How could anybody, especially those on a hiking board not agree with this and support it? Plus the price is more than reasonable. This is one thread where I'm sure we'll get 100% agreement.

Last edited:
Although not a specific "school" program...

Maine is working on a campaign to get kids outside too...

The ads show kids just being kids in the woods...and states something like:

The forest...where the "other you " lives...come and discover the "playful you", the "adventerous you", the "curious you"...

Kind of neat.

Interesting.

Our entire 8th grade class spent three nights backpacking on and around Mt. Cardigan. We spent the time hiking, doing science & math experiments (water flow speed, leaf identification, etc.), poetry. Every discipline gets represented. This program has been in place for close to 40 years. How they still pull it off is beyond me.

I was amazed at the amount of my classmates who had barely spent any time in the woods. Almost all come away better for the experience. There have always been, and always will be, a few scattered parents who don't like the program and try to fight it lest Li'l Johnny gets mauled by a polar bear of falls into an icy crevasse....

Latest posts