Redfeather Sport Snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing some Redfeather Sport Snowshoes. I would appreciate any comments good and bad on these shoes. These will be my first set of snowshoes. Any advice on snowshoeing will be welcome. Thanks.

I have a pair of Redfeather Racing Snowshoes. They're similar to the Sport Model but have a number of more well built and durable parts. I believe the Sport is actually discontinued at this point, but I imagine they are available at pretty good discounts at various places. I woud say the Sports would be good for medium duty use, not for serious hard hiking and climbing. I don't think they'll hold up or perform in more intense climbing situations. Plus, neither the Sports or the Racing models are good for breaking trail in deep powder. All that being said, I love my Race shoes and find I use them about 75% of the time. They have a great binding, titanium crampons that really work and are strong, and the pointed tails are great on the downhills, they kind of act like a rudder. (I have a pair of MSR Denali EVO Ascents with optional tails for more serious conditions. These shoes, by the way, are terrific, and the choice of many other users of this web site).

So, ask any more specific questions and I'll be happy to respond.

OK, but there are better...

I have a pair of Redfeather Recreation snowshoes, 36 in. that I bought as my first pair. While I weigh about 210 lbs with a pack, I would have expected the snowshoes to hold up better. They function OK, but after about 30 miles on them, I had already replaced four rivets that popped (about one per hike). Since replacing them, I had no issues.

EMS currently has a 30% off any single item e-mail coupon and MSR, Atlas and Tubbs snowshoes are on sale too. Prior threads had a discussion of the virtues of those brands.

Jim

redfeather

i received a pair of redfeather sport snowshoes as a gift a few years back when i moved to new hampshire. the gift giver had a pair that the company had given him a free upgrade on after a lesser pair he had purchased had a manufacturing defect. so he is a big redfeather fan based on that experience. the shoes are good quality and his experience suggests the manufacturer stands behind their product. that said i never use the shoes. i would recommend them only for snowshoeing on flat trails at moderate (under five mile) distances. they are definately not for white mountain hiking...the crampons are miniscule and the bindings are not as secure as the more mountain ready shoes. even if you THINK you are only going to use them on flats you would be better off to spend the same money on tubbs/atlas/msr with a more aggressive crampon and more stable binding JUST IN CASE. otherwise, like me, you end up with TWO pairs of snowshoes. of course houseguests always appreciate the extra pair but i doubt that is your intent in purchasing them! ;-)

snowshoes

I'm pretty sure this has been posted here before, but here's a link to an online snowshoe magazine. Look in the "first timers guide" for a list of about a dozen different manufacturers' websites, including Redfeather. There are a lot of choices, so unless you are getting a good deal or getting them used, you may want to look first.

I used to have a pair of Atlas 1025's. I only used them a couple of times, but they are pretty sturdy and built for backcountry use.

http://www.snowshoemag.com/first.cfm

Last edited: