roads plowed in catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I have stayed away from the catskills in the winter becouse I am unfamiliar with the roads. The roads I take are route 10 through Cobellskill and route 28 through Oneonta. These two road are crooked as all get out. I was wondering how they are in the snow. I have to slow down to a crawl on some of those turns. Looking to stay to the north catskills so what are the best hikes in the snow. Want to stay north of Slide.

In my limited experience, actually I think pretty well for being back roads.

SR28, is plowed being one of the major east-west thoroughfare but I haven't driven Rt 28 out by Oneonta in winter before but would expect it to be fine after the snow has stopped.. Some of the trailheads will take some time to get plowed out as the DOT has more important issues to deal with than trailheads unless they are used as a snowplow turnaround. Windham is always a nice peak and from Rt 23 is a major road.

The backroads can be dicey as well as a lot of the roads to the trailhead (like Big Hollow Road, which leads to the summer lot for the Blackheads... ask "lowlander on AHP.com ;) ). but choosing any trailhead on the major roads should be passable.

I've found my Subaru with 4 snow tires fine when on the backroads in winter, but if you have a little FWD civic, it can be a bit slippery that needs to be given some care.

Jay

Adk_dib said:
I have stayed away from the catskills in the winter becouse I am unfamiliar with the roads. The roads I take are route 10 through Cobellskill and route 28 through Oneonta. These two road are crooked as all get out. I was wondering how they are in the snow. I have to slow down to a crawl on some of those turns. Looking to stay to the north catskills so what are the best hikes in the snow. Want to stay north of Slide.
Almost everything will be plowed 24 hours after a storm, with the exception of remote trailheads.

Extra caution advised on Rt 10 south of Cobleskill and north of Stamford. Summit and Jefferson get worse weather, due to elevation.

Hey, I have a Civic, and a little one at that! And I live in the N Cats. Roads are all plowed , nice hiking BearPen,Vly, Devils Path, Windham, Hunter area, Westkill, Halcott, NDOme, Sherril, and so forth.

Latest posts