Rotating Microspikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tito Alba

Reaction score
This is my third season in Microspikes. Intermittently my spikes rotate off the toe of my boot. Not on every hike. Not always both boots. Sometimes they will "settle" after a re-set and not move again. Sometimes not. The fix has been stopping and a re-adjustment.

I use the red spikes over Asolos size 46 cm. Have used the same spikes over a lighter weight Merril boot and have encountered the same slip.

Any wisdom?

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but I secure mine with these Velcro Velstrap #90107 that are 18" and a pair can be bought at a hardware store for $5. This rig ends up looking like the Hillsound's, will help retain the Spikes if they twist off completely and might prevent yours from twisting. I've owned a few pair of these straps for years and always carry 4 as they are very light, can be used individually or doubled up and used to lash larger items.

Edit: If you wanted to super secure them, the boots laces could be laced over the straps.

trail-crampon-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
speaking of 'rotating' kahtoola microspikes, one came off my foot last week. Is there anyone with 'one' left that I could make a deal with? It would be highly annoying to have to go buy a new pair.

This is my third season in Microspikes. Intermittently my spikes rotate off the toe of my boot. Not on every hike. Not always both boots. Sometimes they will "settle" after a re-set and not move again. Sometimes not. The fix has been stopping and a re-adjustment.

I use the red spikes over Asolos size 46 cm. Have used the same spikes over a lighter weight Merril boot and have encountered the same slip.

Any wisdom?

I've had the exact same problem. 3rd year, rotating at front of boot. Pain in the butt. I'm trying some buckle straps I bought for $5 at EMS. I only have one hike on them, so it's too early to tell. You can see the buckle on the outside of the boot in the left picture below.

Microspike mod 101
SAM_0833.JPG
SAM_0835.JPG

Is the size too big for the boot? I realize you can only get so many sizes in these things. Mine are pretty tight, but I have a size 13 boot too. From Petch's photo, they look far looser than they look on my boots.

Tim

I think the guidance on sizing is off. Based on The Sizing Chart info, I should have mediums and my son should have large or even extra large, but we both went a size down, which seems perfect so far. They are also suggesting different sizing for insulated boots vs hiking boots and running shoes, which makes sense, but still seems too big.

Based on what (limited) experience I've had, the chart should be something more like:

Small fit's women's 5.5 - 9.5 and men's to size 8.5
Medium fits men's 9 - 11 and women's 9.5+
Large fits men's 11.5 - 13.5
Extra Large fit's mens's 14+

Something like that.

Last edited:
I have size 8 to 8.5 boots and my Mediums are a tad big. I haven't had them fall off but I have experienced the rotating toe problem. I was thinking of losing one link on the chain in the front but Petch's solution should work.. Anything to tighten up the front side I think will work.

Jay

I think the guidance on sizing is off. They are also suggesting different sizing for insulated boots vs hiking boots and running shoes, which makes sense, but still seems too big.

Based on what (limited) experience I've had, the chart should be something more like:

Small fit's women's 5.5 - 9.5 and men's to size 8.5
Medium fits men's 9 - 11 and women's 9.5+
Large fits men's 11.5 - 13.5
Extra Large fit's mens's 14+

Something like that.

I would agree with that. When I bought mine several years ago they fit snug, but not really tight on old three season boots; with my new Merrell winter boots they fit quite tight and havn't budged a bit yet.

Agreed. I have size large that just barely fit on my size 13 Sorels, and more easily on my size 13 3-season Asolos. They shift a bit on the 3 season boots and are tight as a drum on the Sorels. Never had issues with coming off, though I did almost slingshot one into a ravine when trying to put it on! It went a good long way. :)