Route for Avalanche Mountain, in the Adirondacks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwandel

Reaction score
I hike in the Adirondacks a lot, and having knocked off the 46 main peaks I'm now intrigued by Avalanche Mountain, the pretty little bump between Algonquin and Colden. I read here that this is actually worth climbing in its own right, so I'm considering trying it on snowshoes. What route does one take for easiest ascent and best views?

Markus

I've done it, its not a hard bushwhack (as advertised), but when I did it in Summer (and foliage was out), I would have to say that that site OVERSTATES the view just a touch. It's a "through trees" view at best, but what you can see is nice. PM me and I'll give you details.

I'm told the view is better in winter.

Last edited:
I loved the views but they definitely were not "open". You had to peak through trees and stand on deadfall. Got some nice shots of the dyke and flowed lands though the trees. Like Tim said, PM me if you want details on my route.

We did Avalanche using snowshoes some years back with winter conditions and a pretty solid snow underfoot which allowed for good bushwhacking. There were several spectacular viewing points of Colden and Algonquin along the way and near the summit. Click on: Topozone Map. As I recall, we came in about from the "A" on "Avalanche Pass" heading toward the RED CROSS, a short steep ascent to the ridgeline, and then easy going to the summit.

mwandel said:
We didn't make it, but it was a good try. Check out the pictures.

Great trip reports and photos, it brought back fond memories (minus the snow) I remember that exact spot with the stunning view of the Trap Dyke and the AdironDyke over on Colden. Sweet.

Given the conditions it seems you guys had, probably would of been tough either way you went. It gets pretty cliffy the farther down you go so you'd have have to dealt with that had you stayed on the trail longer. Try the way that you went in summer. The views are not quite as good (still decent) and it's not too bad. A little thick in spots and watch for the steep-walled fissure (trench) at about 3600' feet. Not like us, we happened upon it before we knew it was there. Nothing like putting your foot out blind and feeling nothing but air, only to crouch down and find a 15-18 foot cliff at your feet. :eek: .

Either that or just have someone you don't like go first :D

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: