RT 35 washed out by Mt Hood, OR

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Last edited:
"Timberline Road" is the road that we took to the lodge... Rt 35 is further east on Rt26 and goes north to I-84..

We drove down Rt 26 from the west to get to Mt Hood so we never got as far east as Rt 35.. That would be bad if the road to the lodge got washed out as bad as the article makes Rt 35 to be...

Re: Rainier

I saw this on summit post from Guy's link..

Snoqualmie falls before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1pjB80CNcs&mode=related&search=

After:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alfZdOZOS6g

:eek:

Wonder if the mountain itself is getting dumped on in snow?

jay

Last edited:
Papa Bear said:
Rte 35 goes over the mountain pass south of Mt. Hood and swings around to the north on the east side of the mountain up to Hood River. It starts at Route 26 a few miles past the turnoff to Timberline Lodge.

I don't know where the washout is, but if the pass is blocked that would be a very significant problem.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=45.2819&lon=-121.71303&s=500&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

It has been real bad out there here is a photo of a house floating down the Cowlitz River. Photo reportedly taken 70 miles from where the house started floating.

Here are a few links to sources that have video of the damage.
KIRO TV

KING TV

Northwest Cable News

I just can't believe that britney spears and kevins breakup made news and this didn't.

WFT - last 2 nights I watched the national news segments.

giggy said:
I just can't believe that britney spears and kevins breakup made news and this didn't.

WFT - last 2 nights I watched the national news segments.

Giggy, I have been watching this for a couple days now. The TV stations out there have all kinds of video reports. You cannot get to Mt Rainier through Ashford as the Nisqually took out most of the highway. On campground at Longmire is gone completely swept away. Highways 410, 123 on the west side are closed. Almost all of Packwood is underwater. The north Cascades got belted from Mt Baker down to and including the Seattle area. The South sound severely whacked many towns completely under water.

But at least the media is keeping up with Brittney Gotta report what matters.

That storm is what they call the "Pineapple Express", it came right out of here in Hawaii. Here on the East coast of Oahu we got 24" of rain in 2 days. We got 16" the first day!!! At times it was raining 4" / hour. It was unreal. The Pali highway was closed when a mudslide went right across the entire 4 lane highway.

art1c.jpg

Looks like Washington is in for more rain. Not good.

- darren

giggy said:
is that the road you basically use to get to timberline lodge???

The road to Timberline lodge is good as is Route 26 (so far).

I checked the reports and maps and it looks like Route 35 was wiped out about 5 miles from it's junction with Route 26. Here

If Rte 26 stays safe, you can cross the mountains further south so the route to Bend and the high desert east of the Cascades is OK. As for Hood River, I guess you would just need to go east on I-84 (which would be the most direct route from Portland anyway).

As for 26, I would worry about it Here where it parallels the Salmon River for several miles.

Ironically, we visited the area the weekend before last and had great sunny weather. My daughter says it's been raining ever since we left.

As others have said, if you were headed to Hood from Portland you wouldn't have problems (so far). The washout occurred east of Hood, so if you wanted to go from Hood to, say Hood River up on the Columbia River by going east and then north - you'd be in trouble.

Was just up that way myself the end of August on my way to climb Mt St Helens. RT 35 is a pretty route, but if you've ever driven it you can see why it's subject to washouts in certain places.

The pic on summit post of the footbridge near Steven's Pass was most impressive.

Yeah we really got slammed with rain up here....welcome to Portland, I guess :rolleyes:

As far as I know, Ranier NP was shut down and access in the Mt Hood NF is pretty restricted. Lots of roads, trails and bridges are washed out, some campground in WA was completely destroyed. I'm wondering where I can safely go hiking this weekend. Of course, the waterfalls in the Gorge are probably going crazy right now.

Portland hikers have been discussing this topic as well...

Funny, when Guy and a bunch of us were in Portland, couldn't really of had better weather although it could of been cooler, I mean it was like upper 90s which is rare in Portland when we were there this year... But it was sunny and hazy though...

According to Guy's post on Summitpost:

NWS1108_RAINIER_G.JPG

Sunshine Point campground which appears to be on the way to Paradise is washed out. I think we go by this campground a short bit after the toll gates, no? I remember passing a camp with a cabin right on the main road to paradise. I don't remember the name though...

[edit ] eehh, don't think that's it, it looks too far according to the scale of my picture...

[edit] It made the CNN news:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WEATHER/11/10/northwest.flooding.ap/index.html

Jay

P.S. Anybody hear from LindaLu? I know she is out in Washington State, I think in Puyallup or somewhere...

Last edited:

Latest posts