Rusk for "Dummies"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I wanted to do the rusk, hunter, SW hunter loop today. I got to the hairpin turn that I was told that there was a trail to rusk. All I saw was the "private" road. My hiking book says this is a private road and I don't want to break any rules. I went in the woods about 50 feet in for all directions and could not find a trail. The trail must go through the private road but I could not even find semblance of a trail. Looked to me that nobody walked this road. I went on and did hunter and SW hunter. SW hunter trail was obvious. A lot more people must take Sw hunter than Rusk. I was supposed to take the private road wasn't I? :(

Adk_dib said:
I wanted to do the rusk, hunter, SW hunter loop today. I got to the hairpin turn that I was told that there was a trail to rusk. All I saw was the "private" road. My hiking book says this is a private road and I don't want to break any rules. I went in the woods about 50 feet in for all directions and could not find a trail. The trail must go through the private road but I could not even find semblance of a trail. Looked to me that nobody walked this road. I went on and did hunter and SW hunter. SW hunter trail was obvious. A lot more people must take Sw hunter than Rusk. I was supposed to take the private road wasn't I? :(
Fortunately, no!

There is no trail to Rusk. The first hair pin turn is way before the junction you are referring to. It is here:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.19040,-74.26818&z=15&t=T&

This is where you leave the road to do the ascent of Rusk, typically at least. Some people head to the col to the east, and others take a direct route. There are faint herd paths from time to time, and along the ridge, there is a decent herd path. Sorry you didn't make it. :(