Ruts from Snow Bikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We all know how post holes can catch ski tips, but I think Ive found a new menace: ruts from snow bikes. I caught one and my left ski went under my right. It was pretty flat and not too fast--Lincoln Woods-- but Im pretty sure if I had been wearing my pack I would have taken a fall. Anybody else have any thoughts?

interesting - been a few years but I've seen them on the East Side Trail quite a way in - didn't catch on the ruts at the time because the snow was packed already - looks like fun!!!!!

There were only ruts where the riders made sharp turns or lost traction and cut the wheel to keep balance...going straight didnt seem to cut the snow...my guess is that the profile of the tire contact with the snow changes in turns and under the right conditions you get a deep long trench curving one way or the other. Apparently these are also used in desert on sand.

Of course in soft snow, skis themselves make ruts also. I have had to dodge these many times; especially after the trail freezes again, into the condition we call "meringue ice."

Was tempted to buy a used Salsa Mukluk 3 from a bike shop over in hadley but refrained.

If you want to check out the emerging field of fatbiking to the general public check out Kingdom Trail's facebook page. They always seem to have FB updates on their trail status WRT to fatbikes.... Have no idea if it's working but it's all fairly new to the general public and so there is always a learning process for owners and riders alike to learn proper etiquette.

Jay

An interesting variation on fatbiking that I saw in Switzerland is the "Monster."

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/discover-the-dirt-monster-bike.html

You can pedal it, but it's designed primarily for downhill. It's so popular in some areas that it's allowed on some walking trails, but others are designated with signs saying "No Monster." It took me a while to figure out what that meant... :)

Was tempted to buy a used Salsa Mukluk 3 from a bike shop over in hadley but refrained.

If you want to check out the emerging field of fatbiking to the general public check out Kingdom Trail's facebook page. They always seem to have FB updates on their trail status WRT to fatbikes.... Have no idea if it's working but it's all fairly new to the general public and so there is always a learning process for owners and riders alike to learn proper etiquette.

Jay
Good points Jay. Until there is rehtoric and legislative interpretation the users of a particular sport are destined and obligated to govern themselves within the outdoor community. So far I have not seen personally an abuse of trails by this particular newer sport. The emergence to a point has been due to a string of lower snowfall winters in particular areas of the Northeast. In addition these Bikes are more specific to the task at hand. Riding bicycles on snow and ice has been going on for a long time. Having specific gear for the task has enabled manufacturers to extend the riding season but also attract more users into the market. The Lincoln Woods Trail outside the wilderness boundry is a multiuse area in addition to a relatively flat corrider. In consequence it lends itself to be more conducive to Snow Biking. You will probably see this in similar areas in addition to where conditions permit the use of these new vehicules. It is on the rise and I don't expect it to be just a fad. We already have a competitive event in our area that incorporates Snow Biking along with Snowshoeing and XC Skiing.

Yeah, I believe I saw a guy riding a fatbike along the road to the summer trailhead on Carrigain one winter ago.

You can kind of liken this to the emergence of mountain biking in general many years ago in the say the mid 80s when hikers are soon forced to deal with fat tire riders and mud. Do I think it is a fad? No, some would say snowboarding is a fad. You will find many bike shops carrying one because if anything, it is a great conversation piece and will bring in customers to the store.

I just can't justify it myself just by how often I think I would use it, given than many of them are about the same price as a very very very good Full Suspension XC rig... Plus, I need to save money now for the Tour Divide ;)

Jay

An interesting variation on fatbiking that I saw in Switzerland is the "Monster."

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/discover-the-dirt-monster-bike.html

You can pedal it, but it's designed primarily for downhill. It's so popular in some areas that it's allowed on some walking trails, but others are designated with signs saying "No Monster." It took me a while to figure out what that meant... :)

There are "snow bikes" where they replace the front wheel with a skid. I've seen those before...

If I saw a sign that said "No monster" I'd either think it was referring to the energy drink or perhaps I'd have a quiet day on the hills w/o being attacked by Godzilla. :D

Jay

I just can't justify it myself just by how often I think I would use it, given than many of them are about the same price as a very very very good Full Suspension XC rig... Plus, I need to save money now for the Tour Divide ;)

Jay
Yea....Yea. Sounds like rationalization to me. We all know your a gear junky and it's just a matter of time. Besides what fun is it if your a Cyclist and you can't keep quivering your toys.:p;):D

Yea....Yea. Sounds like rationalization to me. We all know your a gear junky and it's just a matter of time. Besides what fun is it if your a Cyclist and you can't keep quivering your toys.:p;):D

Sometimes that quiver overfloweth :D

NH Tramper said:
I saw something like them in Key West, too -- a bike with what looked like motorcycle tires for riding in the sand.

Same idea, a fat tire running a low PSI, will float on top of sand/snow in certain conditions...

Jay

Weird that you mentioned this. I too was on the Lincoln Woods trail this past Sunday and saw the same tracks. Took me a minute to figure it out as the 1st or 2nd time I saw the tracks they were short and cut through by either skis or shoes. They did leave an indentation that I could see would cause havoc with anything besides a snowshoe.

Weird that you mentioned this. I too was on the Lincoln Woods trail this past Sunday and saw the same tracks. Took me a minute to figure it out as the 1st or 2nd time I saw the tracks they were short and cut through by either skis or shoes. They did leave an indentation that I could see would cause havoc with anything besides a snowshoe.

Yes ruts is an imprecise term; I avoided two 4- 5inch deep trenches where the bikers would start to lose their balance. It starts right in the ski track since this is where they ride to avoid friction. Its really important not to have any weight on the track where the skid starts.

Yes ruts is an imprecise term; I avoided two 4- 5inch deep trenches where the bikers would start to lose their balance. It starts right in the ski track since this is where they ride to avoid friction. Its really important not to have any weight on the track where the skid starts.
If they are riding in the ski track that is simply bad etiquette IMO. My experiences on the Lincoln Woods Trail in winter have been very positive for the most part. Skiers and snowshoers seem to coexist well with each staying to their side of the trail which IMO would leave a nice middle corrider for the Snow Bikers...conditions permitting. If they have to ride in the ski track to gain traction then they should not be riding there.