sad day for sardines: my first backpacking food

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad for sardine-lovers and for Hancock County, which deserves some better news. As a kid, a long time ago, I toured one of those canneries one rainy day, during a family camping vacation in Bar Harbor. My memories of that remain vivid and have always been part of my composite mental image of the Way Down East part of Maine.

Unlike the cannery workers, I love the taste of sardines, although I consider them a bit oily for convenient trail food.

My Grandmother retired from a sardine factory years ago in Stonington, Maine after working for over 30 years :eek:...the longest standing employee at the time.....she has since passed away but I remmeber how fast she was on the line and how she could shuck clams, or any seafood blindfolded....:D

Hard working people!!

They aren't anymore? :D How about smoked oysters?

Sardines in oil with a bagle on a winter overnight is energy food.

I'm stopping on the way home and buying a couple cases of the domestic cans while they're still on the shelf. Speaking of shelf...I wonder what the shelf life is on a can of sardines ?

I would of thought I'd loved smoked oyster, but they're a bit too, how to put this nicely...they're a bit too much like something I'd expectorate on a hike, not eat on a hike. :eek:

I wonder what the shelf life is on a can of sardines ?

I:eek:

Just checked my pantry: The Beach Cliff can is best by NOV 2012. Recently I've been buying Crown Prince (a product of Morocco :(), which is good until DEC 2013. Feeling guilty for switching brands. Crown Prince makes a skinless & boneless variety that is nice for lunch at work. I think the skin is the stinky part. Cans are generally too heavy for me to carry backpacking.

I really like sardines, but it tends not to be something I seek out often. This is a sad day for the cannery workers who are now out of a job.

For my own personal sake I hope the Vienna Sausage factory never sees the same fate!

YUM!
800px-vienna_sausage_tasty.jpg

I once hijacked a few dozen cases of sardines (HA! the statute of limitations has long expired :p) and still had plenty left after giving them away to friends and relatives.

I can tell you, they last a long time when left in a cool place. Much longer than any date stamped on the can ... 'course, those were days when cans were cans.

I can also tell you, sardines are a lot better for you than shrimp. Their nourishment is not appreciated.

At 100 cans per case I confess that I haven't had many sardines since.

Nope.

I've moved up ... to pickled herring ... but I never thought about bringing either on the trail.

That would be good...it's been a while since I've eaten some, but it's time to start up again and send up the demand curve - maybe that'll help save it!

Some north country triva about sardines from a few year ago. There was a bear study that required live trapping bears all over the region. The individual running the trapping was quite proud that he had used the same can of sardines for the entire season to trap numerous bears.

I have tended to avoid canned tuna or sardines for hiking for many years as I found that no matter how carefull I was, the tuna or sardine odor would be noticable around the campsite and very noticable in my trash bag for the rest of the trip and I felt that it would attract more animals. I now use the foil pouches of tuna on trips as they can be burned readilly in a hot fire and the resultant foil I dig out of the ashes takes up almost no room and has no odor.

I hope something replaces the jobs over there, washington county is about as depressed as it gets in the Northeast.

If you can keep them fresh and clean dive in. I like them with hot sauce and lemon juice but some may find that a little to spicy to slurp up.

When I used to backpack this was my snack of choice. A triscut, some of that aerosol squirt cheese, topped with a smoked oyster. 4 stars.