Safety and Navigation Poll

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
We set up a poll on ADKHP as well as ADKForum and configured the software to permit non-registered guests to vote.

(We also have one set up for registered forum members).

Anyway, check it out and increase our sample size by participating.

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17192

A translation of the same poll will appear soon on the francophone hiking forum Fousderando as well.

A missing option among "I carry a cell phone because...":

I don't like leaving it in the car where it is easily stolen.

(Actually I've already used my cell phone on two hikes this calendar year. Since I no longer live alone I like to make sure nobody panics if I'm late getting back to civilization. I guess that falls under "personal communications.")

The last choices threw me a bit. I only carry clothing as my primary emergency gear in winter, but I usually carry enough puffy layers for it to be my "bivy" gear. Most people carry way too little clothing. If you can't layer up and stand around, it's gonna be rough should things hit the fan.

The last choices threw me a bit. I only carry clothing as my primary emergency gear in winter, but I usually carry enough puffy layers for it to be my "bivy" gear. Most people carry way too little clothing. If you can't layer up and stand around, it's gonna be rough should things hit the fan.
My sister says that if you ever put on your last item, you didn't bring enough

I nearly always carry a thin space blanket and a candle, and have even used them - not very heavy so I felt guilty about saying I carry emergency gear year-round

Looks like it's skewed with high responses from solo hikers, who certainly should be looking at maps and navigation aids more than a group hiker might.

We soloists rely mostly on QR codes these days.