Sam splints

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
I know this item is loved and carried by many. I recently heard from a first aid instructor (who is also a firefighter) that some areas have stopped stocking them because they "contain lead." This statment coming from higher ups.

I found that they actually use an aluminum alloy.

Does anyone know if they were ever made from lead?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they were ever made from lead?

I don't know. I've carried one as a part of my first aid kit for more than 10 years now, mostly because it weighs about the same as an empty soda can. Can't imagine that there would be any lead in it if it is that light!

"SAM® is radiolucent and does not have to be removed for X-Ray."

Unless that's a new feature, there's been no lead. If there's some sort of "Star Trek" lead out there that doesn't block x-rays, I'm sure someone will let us know.

It is radiolucent meaning x-rays can pass through it. Doesn't mean it can't contain lead but it would make using it with an x-ray machine much more difficult. I was always under the impression that it is aluminum. Their site lists "The SAM® SPLINT is built from a thin core of aluminum alloy" Being an alloy it is possible that it has some small amount of lead.

So maybe, maybe not. Sorry to be of no help. :p Personally I think it would be a total overreaction to stop using this because of lead. If they can get the lead out that would probably be a good thing but I won't stop using it.

Just my $.02,

Keith

Trying to get to the bottom of this I called Sam medical. The person they say I should talk to is out but will be in tomorrow. I will call tomorrow and try to let everyone know what I find out.

Keith

If they do contain lead, so what? I wouldn't hesitate to use a splint made of pure lead (except for the undesirable strength/weight ratio) to treat an injury in the field.

Maybe somebody is concerned about being able to dispose of / recycle a product with lead in it?

If they do contain lead, so what? I wouldn't hesitate to use a splint made of pure lead (except for the undesirable strength/weight ratio) to treat an injury in the field.

I agree - unless you make them eat it, I don't see the problem.

OK, here is the information straight from Adrian Polliack PhD who is the COO of Sam Medical, the maker of the Sam splint. He actually called his supplier of the aluminum they use to be certain of his answer. They use 1145 aluminum as the spine of the splint. 1145 aluminum is 99.45% pure aluminum. The lead content is of a value "too low to measure". I also asked just to be certain if the foam could have contained any lead and his answer was no. He struck me as sincere, honest and concerned about an accusation like this. Bottom line is there appears to be no lead in the Sam splint.

Hope this helps answer the question.

Regards,
Keith