Santa Hike on Franconia Ridge 11/24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Hike in your favorite Santa or Reindeer outfit!

Thanks nif for stimulating ideas :)

Several options for start and finish :)
Suggestions:
Alternative 1 (long): Lincoln Woods to Skokumchuck Trail
Alternative 2 (short): The Basin to Bridle Path or Greanleaf Trail:

Can always bail out down Falling Waters if 100 mph winds blowing above timberline. Secure your beards!

Assume full winter conditions up there.......I think the NH Santa is eqipped with crampons :D

http://www.winternet-scotland.co.uk/reports/east/santa_climbing_251206.jpg

mats i would be interested in such an endeavor. count me in. i will have the sleigh bells strapped to my pack. plus i need Flume. :)

Paradox said:
This sounds like a lot of fun. What is your expected start time?

I was thinking 7am for the Lincoln Woods folks. Gives 9+ hours of daylight.....I still bring headlamps...

Anyone starting at The Basin or Lafayette Place might start a little later I suppose. Although going up Flume Slide I've found a little slower than Osseo Trail from Lincoln Woods.

Woodstock Station in Woodstock afterwards for carb replenishment seems like a good plan....

Mats Roing said:
I was thinking 7am for the Lincoln Woods folks. Gives 9+ hours of daylight.....I still bring headlamps...

Anyone starting at The Basin or Lafayette Place might start a little later I suppose. Although going up Flume Slide I've found a little slower than Osseo Trail from Lincoln Woods.

Woodstock Station in Woodstock afterwards for carb replenishment seems like a good plan....
Are we going to spot cars in advance or walk back to Lincoln Woods? :D

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Are we going to spot cars in advance or walk back to Lincoln Woods? :D

We should bring bivy bags since we might need to bivy on the way back....like around Lincoln...before the last push back to LW..... :D

6:30am at Skokumchuck TH for car spotting and 6:40 at Lafayette Campground. People who plan to bail out to Lafayette Place should drop their cars there.
We should have enough space to pick up all people at Lafayette Campground (put your car at Lafayette Place TH and then go under the tunnel to be picked up)

Last edited:
Might run into your posses Saturday. We got a group starting at the Skookumchuck TH. Not sure which loop we'll end up doing North to Garfield or South to Lafayette.
Dave

Getting close now :)

Observe that hikers who plan to go the whole way should meet at Skokumchuck TH at 6:30am tomorrow 11/24. If you plan to bail at Lafayette Place, please leave your car there and go under the tunnel to the campground site. You will be picked up at 6:40 am. Then we head to Lincoln Woods and start the fun!

....don't forget the santa outfits :D Dress in red if possible......cotton for beard always works.....glittery x-mas tree strands would work.......:) I got some extra santa hats if you're without......Shaws have a sale on santa hats today......$2.10....not bad.....

And afterwards Saturday evening we'll have a potluck at mtnmamas and mtnpa's place in Betlehem! I just talked to mtnmama over the phone.
Hikers can camp overnight on their property across the street. I'm bringing Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes etc. Other people are bringing stuff as well.....BRING FIREWOOD also! It's gonna be a cold night!

Direction to potluck soon.....

Who's in?

The windchill is going to be pretty severe tomorrow AM. From our friends on the rockpile:

"With high winds and plunging temperatures we will be issuing a wind chill advisory today that will start at midday and last through tomorrow afternoon as wind chills drop below 35 below 0F. Wind chills today will start 25-35 below this morning then drop to 30-40 below this afternoon, 35-45 below tonight and tomorrow morning then 20-30 below tomorrow afternoon."

Definitely pack your Captain Nemo Shorts!