Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong 4/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
Date of Hike: Sunday April 6

Trail Conditions: On the way in the Lake Road was as hard as cement (on the way out, there was a couple of inches of slop on it). Snow depth is definitely lessening! The water is flowing pretty good and most streams are open (or easily opened when you step on them). Trail up to Sawteeth/Gothics col was in good shape. First non-bridge stream crossing was a little rough, wide open water but 3 foot snow bank on either side... feet got wet! Trail up to Sawteeth from the col is still pretty solid. Trail up to Pyramid is in pretty rough shape (when I could find it). Blow down, spruce traps (when I got off trail, which was frequently, doesn't look like anyone's been up there for awhile) and buried trail markers made it a lengthy climb. From Pyramid up to Gothics was good but the snow had softened considerably. The summit ridge has some deeply blown in snow that is nearly corniced. Made the walk a little more interesting:). Trail over to Armstrong is it's typical slop. Met some folks on the summit of Armstrong who said the trail down the other side was a little trecherous, so I opted to head back the way I came. Went down the Beaver Meadow Trail. Very rough in spots. All the sidehilling up top was made more difficult by the very sloppy and granular snow. Ladders still mostly buried, lots of small blowdown. The ladder that goes up the side of the falls (which a flowing very nicely) is mostly exposed but tough to get to on the descent.

Special Equipment Required: Snowshoes used all day.

Comments: Another absolutely beautiful day. Warm and sunny with only a slight breeze. Spring has arrived... Now I start my winter countdown...

Latest posts