Sawteeth loop 9/2/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Blessed with another beautiful day to go hiking! A number of years ago I had hiked up the Scenic trail to the lower of the two summits, so I decided to do the loop going up the Gothics trail this time. It is just under 15 miles round trip, but almost 8 of it is road walking. The Gothics trail up to the col between Sawteeth and Pyramid was in good condition, no blowdown, little mud and a great view of the falls. A few steep pitches, but nothing intense. Great views from the summit of the Great Range and Haystack, Marcy. The col between the two summits was quite muddy and requires some careful hopping, or gators and mucking. I had forgotten how rugged and rough the Scenic trail is. In my current inventory of hikes I would have to say it is the most rough trail i've done yet. There isn't more than maybe 400 yards at the start of the trail that doesn't require caution as to where and how you step. Took almost twice as long to decend as it did to go up the Gothics trail. Still you do get some great overlooks towards Lower Ausable Lake and Nippletop, Colvin, Blake, and Indian Head.
-Scotzman