Seeking partner(s) for West/East traverse of Pemigewasset Wilderness in N.H. Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oncoman

Reaction score
Day 1 : Fri. 6th Oct.

1. Meet at 16h00 at Nancy Pond trailhead parking lot on Rt 302 (our exit point) & spot car there.
2. Drive around to Whitehouse trailhead parking lot in Franconia Notch.
3. Go up Liberty Spring trail to camp for night at Liberty Spring tentsite (takes 2 hrs with full pack).

Day 2 : Sat. 7th Oct.

1. Go east down Lincoln Slide, after admiring sunrise on summit of Liberty.
2. Bushwhack to Lincoln Brook trail & up slide to Owls Head summit (5hrs).
3. Bushwhack down east side of Owls Head to Hellgate Brook (3hrs).
4. Bushwhack up Hellgate Brook ravine to Bondcliff trail (5hrs).
5. Bag Bondcliff & Bond, gaze at sunset on West Bond & hike to Guyot shelter for night (3hrs).

Day 3: Sun. 8th Oct.

1. Bushwhack down east via Jumping Brook to Thoreau Falls tr, Wilderness tr, Carrigain Notch tr & Nancy Pond tr to parking lot.
2. If we still have plenty of energy, do Mts Anderson, Lowell & Duck Pond on our way out.

Post me if interested.

Pierre

Pierre, your Day 2 is only 16 hours long. What's wrong? I would gladly join you on this trip if I didn't have to take my Mexican Chiwawa to his appointment with the dog psychologist.

Neil said:
Pierre, your Day 2 is only 16 hours long. What's wrong? I would gladly join you on this trip if I didn't have to take my Mexican Chiwawa to his appointment with the dog psychologist.

The first time that I hike with Pierre last February we hike for 12 hours, the
next day we hike for close to 15 hours and finish at 12:30 am. The week after
we hike again for another 12 hours. So 16 hours is a normal day for Pierre.
Why don't you cancel your dog psyclogist and put the dog in your packsack and go for a 16 hours hike with Pierre. After that your dog won't need anymore psychologist! :) :) :)

I will be very interested in doing this trip. I have wanted to do this same route for awhile now. Thanks for posting so far in advance. I'll try to take a half day of work on that Friday so I can join you. Bushwhacking can be frustrating work, so I hope you bring plenty of scotch (and plan to share it!)

Hi Albee!

Welcome aboard. So far looks like we'll be a crew of 3, but the more the merrier; and BTW bwks are fun, especially the exhilarating one up Hellgate ravine. So no scotch needed...though...

Pierre

Hi Pierre

Sigh, I remember the good old days when I used to do this kind of thing! :)

Couple of things to remember:

1) when you bushwhack down the east side of Owl Head along that ridge, make sure you start at the true summit (not the old one that had the sign) or else you'll end up in a ravine like I did.

2) when I did something similar (but out to Hale, not Nancy) a couple of years ago, I did it in early August (Report) so I had a bit more day light. But then you're an expert in night bushwhacking, non? :D

Have fun. Write a report (if you make it back). I'd also like to join you but by an amazing coincidence, I also have a Chihuahua (note spelling Neil) who is also in need of counselling and that was the only day blah, blah, blah ...

Last edited:
Papa Bear said:
I'd also like to join you but by an amazing coincidence, I also have a Chihuahua (note spelling Neil) who is also in need of counselling and that was the only day blah, blah, blah ...
That's the Canadian spelling. N'est-ce pas Pierre?

Here are other excuses to get out of hikes:

I have to wait for the doorbell repairman to come to my house.
I'm having the lug nuts on my car's wheels rotated that day.
My astrologist is on vacation.

Uh, Pierre, are you doing this entire hike with overnight packs on your backs?

Still room for others interested in this early fall Pemi Traverse. The views from the slides of the valleys down below all coloured up by their fall clothing should be a marvel to the eye. Post me if interested.

Yes Neil carrying one's backpack for the entire traverse is required. As for me I am fortunate enough to have ultra-light backpacking gear (tent just over 1 lb, pack barely 1 lb, stove fits in my shirt pocket, etc.)

Possibility of extending trip over 3 days depending on time commitment.

Pierre

This looks like an excellent trip, I'm sorry I hadn't found this post earlier or I would've really like to join in. Alas, I already have plans in the ADKs that weekend... if it was only a weekend earlier ;)

Hello Pierre,

I've been looking forward to reading about this adventure ever since you first posted it. I had already made plans to be part of a group in Baxter that weekend, and I guess I could pretend that otherwise I might have joined you. :) I don't have lightweight backpacking gear like you do, in any case, so let that be my standing excuse - unwillingness to slow you down on these incredible itineraries of yours. May the weather gods smile on all of us!

Mike

I am still looking forward to this trip. How many people are in? I will meet you at the Nancy Pond trailhead at 4:00 PM Friday.

Albee, we will be 2 brave warriors for this Pemi traverse. Many showed interest but for various reasons couldn't make it for this wk. Will meet you as planned tomorrow at 16h00 at Nancy trailhead.

Thanks Amicus for your good thoughts since indeed the weather Gods will be with us on this one.

Pierre