Semi-Pemi with Owl's Head and the Bonds - September 21, 2024

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhody Seth

Reaction score
It had been a while since I had put together a big day in the Whites that tested my endurance. I was feeling pretty good about my fitness after a summer of running and yoga. A trip of shorter day hikes back in June suggested my legs could hold up pretty well. I wanted to hit Owl's Head and Galehead to close in on my fourth round and decided to make a Semi-Pemi of it. I started at 4:30 AM and was far from the only headlamp in Lincoln Woods at that hour. I ran as much as I could on the way to Owl's Head, opting to skip the Black Pond bushwhack in favor of the Franconia Brook/Lincoln Brook Trails. I figured with the lack of rain it was a good time to check that route out.

As I neared the base of Owl's Head I finally had light and was happy to see the emerging foliage around me. Definitely not peak but beautiful all the same. I went up the Brutus bushwhack which really wore me out. I went down the slide so as not to miss the views of Franconia Ridge. I'm glad I descended that way - there were a lot of leaves on the rocks but since they were dry it wasn't too bad. By the time I reached 13 Falls I was doubting whether I had the legs to back up my plan but I continued on to Galehead nonetheless. The Twin Brook Trail was new to me and quite lovely but it also left me tired. I was happy to make a quick stop at Galehead and then continue on to rest at the hut.

A delicious poppy seed cake and coffee rejuvenated me and I made short work of the climb up South Twin. I had North Twin as a stretch goal but decided to quit while I was ahead and head straight towards the Bonds. While I was by myself when deep in the Pemi, I was surrounded by people now and it would be packed summits from hear on out. The colors below Bondcliff did not disappoint and I spent some time there enjoying the afternoon. Now it was after 3 PM and it was time to descend. I did my best to push the pace and was pleased I still had the legs to run out on the Lincoln Woods Trail. Overall a great day in the mountains and I was very happy with how my body responded and recovered.