Sept 1-3, Seven High Peaks: Friends in the Mountains: Part I

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
I wanted to spend my time in between jobs and moving totally immersed in an Adirondack peakbagging experience, and I was fortunate to have three great friends; two old and one new; game for the plans I had layed out.

The goal was to climb Allen Day 1; Couchie, Panther and Santanoni Day 2; and Gray, Skylight and Marcy Day 3. The plan entailed nearly sixty tough miles, 7 peaks (6 needed and Marcy for the pure enjoyment of ending on NY's highest peak).

I arrived at the Allen Lot about 10:15 pm friday night. My first time driving to Upper Works, I was awestruck by the deep forests lining the roadway. I was hoping two things;
1. There would be another car in the lot when I arrived.
2. That my pal Leaf (Rocks on Top) would be able to find the trailhead from the directions that I had rattled off to her at 7pm as she was leaving her workplace in Central Massachusetts.

The lot was nearly full when I pulled in and a sucession of interior dome lights came on in various cars. I was glad I wouldn't be alone! And someone else is onto my idea of "sleeping in my bear cannister". Guess that wasn't an original idea!

Boreal Chickadee wrote such an amazing report on our hike to Allen that I will just continue on to Day 2.

Day 2: Couchie, Panther, Santanoni:
We left the lot about six am and headed out the roads that lead to the Santanoni Range. The sun was still on the rise and the moon had not set. It was a chilly morning. I didn't sleep well that night in my car, apparently the Santanoni lot doubles as Lover's Lane.
We reached a bog and headed left toward Bradley Pond. We entered some deep woods and then began gently climbing along a beautiful brook with a large flume. Spruce set in along the brook, and a small cairn was set where the New Old Trail comes in. We continued up on the main trail to Bradley Pond. The mist was rising off the pond as the sun rose over the ridge. I filtered water here, clogging my new filter. Sigh. We spoke briefly to a hiker who was on his 45th peak and had returned to the High Peaks after a hiatus from hiking. There was a stay filter laying on a log by the shore of the lake, but we located its owner, who had stayed the night at the leantoo.
The climb up from Bradley Pond was dotted with interesting rock formations and ledges. Then it followed a steep brook filled with huge boulders. The climb to Times Square was steep. Near the top a rock formed a lookout where the view of the Macintyre Range and Wallface met at steep angles. We reached TS in 3.5 hours from our start. We are convinced that the distance between any two major points in the High Peaks is about three hours.
From TS, we headed to Couchie. We began to drop steeply. The trail to Couchie was my favorite part of the day. Lots of good energy here. I could sense it all around. My thoughts began to drift to the native people of this land and how they found this place. Why did they travel here? How did they navigate? Just how old is this herdpath, really? Did they create it?
I found the energy in this area deeply connecting. This is a special place for me and I want to go back. Its green, mossy, quiet, secretive, peaceful. But I paid for it. I was whipped by the spruce. My legs are deeply scratched, as are my arms. I remarked that it reminded me of the a Polynesian culture that creates body art in the form of deep and dark geometric tattooing. I emerged from Couchie tattooed. On our way back we met up with Doug Arnold and his friend who was finishing his 46 on Couchie. One of the most significant aspects of hiking for me is the openess and awareness I achieve while walking in the mountains. And this leads to a very deep grounding and feeling of connectedness. The rewards of this experience are often those we come into contact with who are experiencing the same openess. Our interactions are brief but can be so incredibly meaningful. I cherish these moments. If only the whole world could experience this, I think we would achieve peace. I was truly in my happy place.
When we arrived at Times Square again, Leaf found a cozy shade bed of soft grasses under a rock where she decided to nap as we went off for Panther. HOL and I quickly hiked out. The views from the exposed ledge of Santanoni were spectacular. Little Couchie lay below, tucked away in its own special little Wilderness.
Upon return we took a short break with Leaf, and then all progressed to Santanoni. My water was low and I was sparing all of it for Terra who will look at me and then glance at the blue bite valve if I say "want some water?", saying "yes" with her eyes, then drink from the stream of my Camelback. There was no water anywhere above the brook we paralleled on the way up to Times Square. More spruce to push through on the way to Santanoni. After briefly taking in the view from the summit, we headed back, and near a small opening, we dropped off the mountain-- quietly into the spruce, and began down the New/Old Trail. The trail is easy to follow yet not quiet open. We went to the left to avoid a large ledge. When we came round to the base of the ledge, we discovered that it wore a canopy of pink and red lichen on its top. Very beautiful.
The trail drops steeply and follows the contour of the mountain down to a brook that is reached at approximately 2 miles. I agree with others that if this trail is to become the standard route, there will need to be extensive switchbacks cut to avoid major errosion.
Just before a slightly confusing area near the banks of the stream, we found and carried out a bunch of brown plastic bag material.
We crossed the stream and flushed a plafyful pine marten who danced along the banks. Shortly after crossing the stream, we turned and were at the point of the small cairn and main trail intersected. Here we turned off the Old/New Trail and headed back to our cars. It was ten hours since our start. I do not know the mileage or gain but estimate 17 miles and 4300 ft gain.

To be continued.......

Last edited: