Sharper knives

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I've always been fascinated by really good knives that stay sharp.
For those interested in the subject, take a look at the Novermber 24th issue of The New Yorker magazine.

There's an article by Todd Oppenheimer that is nirvana for fars of good knives.
Its about Bob Kramer who rec'd the certification of Master Bladesmith, an award conferred on only 122 people in the world. It describes the test his hand-forged test knife was subjected to:
Cutting a 1" Manila rope with one slash, going thru TWO 2x4's, shaving the hair on his arm and then bending the knife blade 90 degrees in a vise without it snapping or losing its strength.
The article describes Kramer's fascination with tempering, testing different methods of harding and toughing his edges so they retain their keeness. The article has lots on knife metallurgy and its relation to the master Samurai sword makers.
I loved the part about blacksmithing the steel blanks by heating and removing the air bubbles from the steel. Lots of info about legendary blacksmith, Frank Richtig a knifemaker who broke ground in the 1930's and whose papers and experiments today's knifesmiths still study.
If you like to read this kind of stuff, get a copy. If you're already bored reading my review, you should have closed the thread already. :D

I'm going to go back now and read the article again.

I'm very interested. Spent my whole life butchering our family meat and understanding sharpening anything, albeit knives, chainsaws, sawmill boardsaws and any hand tools. Knives for utility were sharpened just shy of taking the hair of your forearm because most lacked the temper to hold an edge in that kind of service. This would be typical of what you would carry on the trail. Butchering knives were kept much more keen. Once the knife is sharp you can actually strop the edge in, similar to old timers with razors, using fabric with pumice, or leather, even with a piece of stiff cardboard. This because paper products carry enough "dirt" to strop the blade. One old 1913 book I have tells how to case harden with bonemeal. It also tells the the method old smittys used to tell the quench temp of steel at the forge. No its not when it was "cherry red" but when it lost its magnetism leaving the martensite phase and becoming austenitic. Love the old crafts and when it meant something to be a craftsman! Thanks!;)

If you're into it, the experiments with tempering, molten salt baths, Rockwell hardnesses, etc are fascinating.

Tim, I'm guessing you can get a fillet knife. Much of his knife line is for kitchens and chef's. After his certification, the waiting list for his knives is about 2 years and probably longer now with the article.
His 8" kitchen knife sold for $475. It was reviewed in a Cook's Illustrated and the editor was asked if such a utilitarian item such as a kitchen knife could be worth this much. His reply was "yes".

Ouch. I'd hate to drop a knife of that much money and time overboard. It's far more cost effective to bring 3 standard Dexter fillet knives, each pre-sharpened.

I DO like my kitchen (and fillet) knives sharp though. I have an old device called Croc Sticks, which are ceramic rods in a wooden block at two angles. These put a near-razor edge on most of my knives, although as Dave points out, they don't hold it for very long. Long enough though - I can fillet and skin about 25 cod or haddock before I want to sharpen or switch knives.

Gone are the days of 200+ fish catches... :( I once filled 4 5-gallon pails to overflowing with ~250 fish worth of fillets... with only 2 of us on board.

Tim

Cutting beef you will even dull the knife slightly when "boning out". A dull knife is considered dangerous and can get you cut if you're trying to work fast! We keep numerous knives sharp for varying uses and put the steel to the edge to keep it true. There is never time to stop and resharpen. Usually we do one or two whole animals in a day. My skinner is an F. Dick made in Germany 50-75 years ago. They have an unusual curve with a wider looking point. The company is still around and known for their newer knives with color coordinated plastic handles to keep from cross contaminating raw meets. Not $475 chef's knives, damn!