Shaws in Monson is for sale.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ aka Teej

Reaction score
http://www.shawslodging.com

"After more than 30 years of serving the Appalachian Trail community, the
Shaw family is retiring. Shaw's Lodging is a well established tradition on the
trail and is a great opportunity for the hospitality investor or proprietor."

I know they do a lot there, it can get very busy from time to time, and Keith Shaw Sr passed away in Dec '04, which undoubtedly had a profound impact on the family...I know it was the talk of the Trail. I'm sorry to see it's for sale, but I can understand why with Keith passing, it must be very hard for them emotionally.

The Cabin in Andover (Earle & Margie Towne) downright bent overbackwards for me a few times. I know it's in a different location, but I was so impressed with their hospitality that I always recommend The Cabin to people on the trail.

Wow! I stayed at the Pie Lady's place when I got to Monson on a section hike. I figured I'd stay at Shaw's the next time.

I second Lawn Sale's endorsement of the Cabin. The Towne's were great to us when we stayed there. I've heard almost universal raves about all the hostels in Andover. Unlike Monson, there was no apparent antagonism between the competing hostel owners. Shuttlers happily gave hikers rides to the other hostels.

I would love to buy it, don't think I would ever be able to be as good of a host as the Shaw's were, however....

A search of the broker's listing could help answer Chip's question about the premium. I'd guess over $100K because you can buy some old houses for under $200K in the area (shhhh, don't start a mad rush before I buy one). However, that premium likely includes some improvements designed for safety in a place that cooks for and accomodates 20 guests.

I never stayed there but would imagine its a demanding business ... part of that demand being the temptation to be away on the trails or waters of the area! And you've got to stay home and mind this store to make it work.

The Cycle of Life

This has a very particular fragrance to it: the winds of change. There is not one chance in a billion that it's next owner will be anything like its previous. It may work out better. But it certainly smells like change. I wish the best for what seems to have been a real force for good. Karma Karma Karma.