Short Catskill hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Not sure which section to put this one in.

Taking the kids to Catskills Game Farm Saturday before they close for good in the fall. Was thinking of the short waterfall hike along 23A that leaves from the Hairpin turn.

Where is 23A closed? Can I get there from the Game Farm without driving around half of the region?

If not, does anyone have a short (under 2 miles RT) hike with waterfalls or Cascades?

You're thinking of Kaaterskill Falls. Sorry to disappoint, but 23A is out through the entire Kaaterskill Clove, including that trailhead. There is another way to access the Falls from the top, from the North Lake/Escarpment area, but I can't vouch for how safe that is, particularly w/ kids.

There is a nice waterfall in Platte Clove, which is between Tannersville and West Saugerties. It is on Catskill Center for Conservation and Development land, Platte Clove Preserve. You can either park in the Long Path parking lot for the Kaaterskill High Peak snowmobile trail or park on the side of Platte Clove Rd., right next to the trail. The falls is a short walk downhill from the road. Unfortunately, this is a pretty good drive from where you'll be.

Sorry I can't think of anything closer to the Game Farm. If I remember anything, I'll post again. If a waterfall isn't essential, you could always take them for a walk around the North/South Lake area. Lots of history in that area, as well as stellar views from the Escarpment.

23A being out does present problems, no matter where you're trying to get to. The problem being that the Game Farm is on the east side of the Escarpment, and 23A and Platte Clove Rd. are literally the only two ways to get over this obstacle between Woodstock and Windham. So you'll have to use either Platte Clove Rd (south of 23A) or 23 (north of 23A) if you venture into the mountains.

Matt

Last edited:
Mike P. said:
Taking the kids to Catskills Game Farm Saturday before they close for good in the fall. Was thinking of the short waterfall hike along 23A that leaves from the Hairpin turn.

Where is 23A closed? Can I get there from the Game Farm without driving around half of the region?
If your kids are small, the petting areas can be a little frightening, as some of the animals are quite large and can be very aggressive. I'm 6', and some of them could reach higher than I could hold the food!

The top-down approach to Kaaterskill falls is not dangerous, but the edge of the falls is a place for a little concern. Stay away from the edge and don't cross the water anywhere near the falls. The top is undercut, so don't go too near the edge for that reason either.

Note: The falls I am describing are 1/2 mile up from 23A, but a very short walk down from the top. The last 2 roads before North Lake Park, off to the right, both offer access to the top of the falls. The first one, (the name escapes me), is preferrable. It has 2 stop signs at the end, and makes a very small triangle.

23A is closed between Palenville and Haines Falls. The hairpin turn at the start of the Kaaterskill Falls trail suffered a rock wall collapse beneath the road, and is closed to all traffic and pedestrians. The NYS DOT website has the following ominous warning: KAATERSKILL FALLS IS CLOSED - THERE IS NO ACCESS FROM ROUTE 23A. THIS IS IN AFFECT UNTIL THE ROAD REOPENS. TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED. The road is not expected to reopen until November. As Tom mentions the falls can be accessed from above.

And BTW the much beloved and well run Catskill Game Farm has announced that it is permanently closing October 9. Declining attendance is the major cause for the impending closure. So it is good that you are planning to visit soon. I need to get there myself. There is a grass root effort to Save the Catskill Game Farm.

At the top of the Platte Clove Road (a local detour for 23A) is the Platte Clove Preserve. I believe there are detour signs from the start of Blue Mountain Road on NY Rt 32 (a short distance south of the flashing light junction of Rt 32A/32). Stay on Blue Mountain Road and then a right turn on West Saugerties Road which eventually becomes Platte Clove Road.

At the top of the Platte Clove Road you will pass an informal parking area on the left, pass over a stone bridge, pass a dirt road on the right (Kaaterskill High Peak trailhead, Long Path to the north). And then just before another bridge there is parking along the left/south side of the road for the Platte Clove Preserve. There are two trails here, both described in the prior link.

The Long Path heads south towards the Devil's Path, Echo Lake, and Overlook Mt. The first part of this is a interpretive nature trail, green diamond shaped blazes. It passes over a kingpost bridge. On the far side you can detour to the left (east) where there is a 5' old mill cascade. Back on the trail are several historical and nature guideposts. I think the last station is at a small bluestone quarry. Beyond that it is just the Long Path leading to other destinations, and probably not that interesting to your children.

The more popular trail leads to the 50' Plattekill Falls in 0.2 mile, 15 minutes. It starts down the driveway of an "artist in residence" cottage. The blazes I believe are blue. Generally very easy grade. There was a reasonable flow of water last week, similar to that what is seen in the fourth photo here.

Originally Posted by Tom Rankin
The last 2 roads before North Lake Park, off to the right, both offer access to the top of the falls. The first one, (the name escapes me), is preferrable. It has 2 stop signs at the end, and makes a very small triangle.
Laurel House Road.
You can see the falls from a more direct line if you take the path to the right from where the trail ends at the top of the falls. Again depending on the age of the children, be cautious.

Depending on the recent rainfall, there is Ashley Falls, just off the Mary's Glenn Trail in N-S Lake Campground. It can be quite a small trickle, but is quite kid friendly and they can get to the top from the Mary's Glenn Trail.

If you come up Rt. 42, Diamond Notch Falls is usually pretty good and kids can swim at the bottm of the falls. It's a few hundred yards up the Diamond Notch Trail at the end of Spruceton Rd (there's a flag pole at start of Spruceton Road on Rt 42).

Jim