Sierra Designs Lightyear 2.0 1 person Tent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Hi All
Time for me to upgrade/replace my cumbersome Eureka Backcountry tent for something smalller and lighter.

Does anyone have any comments on the Sierra Designs Lightyear?

Its not freestanding, and I've never used a tent that isn't.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Sabrina

Hi Unadogger,
I haven't used the Lightyear, but I did have a Sierra Designs Divine Lightning that I used for a couple of years (1-Person, Single Wall tent). When I decided to get a new 3-season tent a few yearsa ago, I looked at the Lightyear, but remembered how cramped I was in my Divine Lightning and decided to go with the Sierra Designs UltraFlash tent, which weights about 11 oz more than the LY, but allows you to fit 2 or your dog or pack, if need be. It turns out I love this tent. It is the same size as the Clip Flashlight, but with a Silnylon Fly and lighter poles.

I also believe that SD quality and customer service ranks right near or at the top. I don’t think you can go wrong with an SD tent.

As for Freestanding - I do like the convenience and the spaciousness of freestanding models, especially if I am planning to share the tent. However, when it is just me - I'd rather have a lighter tent or just a tarp and forego the convenience and spaciousness.

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
Thanks Chip and Gris;
What do you think is the main disadvantage of this tent being single walled, freestanding, or both???
Thanks again,
Sabrina
This is a double wall tent, I just prefer double walls, which is why I added that. Tents that aren't free-standing are less roomy and don't hold up as well it bad weather. Plus it's not always easy to stake a tent out well.

My main tent is a Sierra Designs, but I use this Kelty as my "solo", or me and 1 son tent if I'm unsure of the weather, which is most of the time. I know some people don't like Kelty tents but I've had a couple and I like them fine.

Looks like you and I are in the same boat, thanks for posting this. :)

I have an older freestanding Walrus that I've used in the past, but picked up a Microlight Solo for use this year as it saves me half a pound and has better ventilation. It's very similar to the LightYear and I am anxious to start using it.

I'm amazed the dimensions and design are so similar.

Hi

I have the SD Ultra Lightyear. It's a shighly lighter version of the Lightyear with carbon fiber poles that I don't believe is marketed any more. My hiking partner has the Lightyear. They look almost identical, except mine has slightly lighter nylon and of course the lighter poles.

We have nothing but the highest praise for these tents. They are well designed and naturally ventilated because of their shape. At first I had a bit of trouble with the lower pole and I called them up. The guy said a few others complained and they redesignecd the lower pole - made it a few inches longer so it didn't have to bend so tightly - and he sent me a new complete set of poles no questions asked. Excellent service.

The fact that it is not free standing never mattered to me.

For $99, buy two! ;)

una_dogger said:
www.rei-outlet.com
has the LightYear for $99 bucks.
Some people find the 1-person tents to be rather claustrophobic, particularly if you have wait out some bad weather in them.

I have an SD Clip Flashlight (small 2 person) for use as a solo tent. IMO, rather small for 2 people, somewhat roomy for one. It has a good reputation for such use--haven't used it yet myself. Allows you to bring your pack in out of the rain, and in an emergency, a second person.

Doug

That tent IS a doublewall (which is important), however freestanding is not that great since IMHO you should guy out your tent anyway. Jump on that $99 before they're all gone!

ps - you should also buy a 6 x 8 ultralight tarp for another $40 (weighs 8 oz or so) and make a giant awning just outside yer tent to sit/cook under.

Last edited:
One vs Two person

I have a two person Eureka and to me its big with two dogs in it.

I'm pretty little myself, so I'm thinking of going for the 1 person and shaving wieght.

Thanks for all the input. Its a super price, and so I think I'll go for it.

Gris, thats a good tip on the awning.

Thanks everyone,
Sabrina

I just recalled - you should make sure you also get the tarp that fits under it. I think it's called the "footprint". It snaps into the tent snappers. It's an extra 6 oz or so but it gives better protection from wet situations and protects the bottom of the tent from rocks, twigs, etc.

I have 2 tents that have to be staked, a Quest Seascape and a SD clip flashlight. I use them mostly in the summer (the Quest is bigger with a large vestibule but prone to sagging, the SD is lighter and a bit sturdier) in the summer and have never had a problem staking them out. I have even used the SD in the winter as a solo tent, staked it with deadmen below treeline in the snow and it was fine. The lightyear would be a little small for my taste but SD quality can't be beat and the price is right. Go for it!

I have the SD lightyear and I like it too. It fits in a small area, but as with the small tents, it's tight inside. Very light though...

My friend has the microlight as mentioned by lawnsale and I am tempted to try his at some point. Looks like a great summer tent and extremely breatheable.

J

A few years ago I picked up an EMS Moonlight for $59 on clearance. Had never seen the tent, but a 2 person, 4 lb tent for $59 could not be past on. Even gave it to a brother, to give me for Christmas to make sure the powers that be couldn't be upset. It is very much like the SD Flashlight. Not freestanding, lots of ventilation, good fly coverage. I also have a 20 year old LL Bean 4 season geodesic dome tent that I have used many times. The larger dome tent is easier to pitch, doesn't require firm stake plants to keep it taught, but leaks at a few key points.

Bottom line. If I was on a winter trip, I'd take the bean tent and feel safe. Otherwise, I've used the Moonlight twice and thought it's a little tight and harder to set up, it's very light and well ventilated.

Now, if I could find a freestanding, less than 4lb tent, for under $59 bucks, I'd be golden. :D

I walk alone.