skiing whiteface

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I you crosscountry ski the toll road, does it count as climbing towards your 46er list? And should I bring along snow shoes for part of it. Crampons are a must at the to I presume.

I skiied the road my 2nd trip and use it as a count toward my winter 46. I didn't need snowshoes, but Crampons were an absolute. I changed into them in the shelter of the tunnel (where cars turn round) and then went up the steps.

Warning, goggles and ski mask are a must, on that last big turn, where the trail comes close to the road, I found myself headfirst in 50 mph winds and had to turn sideways to breathe.(it was pretty cool)

Adk_dib said:
I you crosscountry ski the toll road, does it count as climbing towards your 46er list? And should I bring along snow shoes for part of it. Crampons are a must at the to I presume.
I can't answer for the ADK, but in the Whites a ski up the Auto Road on Mt Washington would not count for your 4000'ers, as I read the rules.

-dave-

It definitely counts, I did it that way back when Grace was around to sanction it. I really don't think you need crampons most days (there's a hand railing the last 1/4 mile to the top, after all...) but if it's a peak bagging trip, better to bring them so you're sure to get the peak. Most of the time I ski it, it's an easy walk up in ski boots, with the occasional tug on the rail. When it's windy, you generally find that the first hairpin turn (overlooking Lake Placid) is sheltered and a good spot to add layers, since the wind hits you hard around the Wilmington turn and then on that last half-mile to the end of the road. Sure did yesterday!

But can you ski down one of the resort hills and shuttle back to your car? That seems to me like the more fun way. And it is called a "lift" pass so I don't see why not.

-Shayne

You could, but you can get up and down the toll road on lightweight touring gear, while you'd need full tele gear to ski down from the summit through the ski area trails. Plus, you'd have to figure out how to get from the summit down the 300-400 vertical feet of thick scrub to the top of the highest lift, unless the slides were in, in which case you could ski down those. If you're looking at is as "what's the easiest way to bag Whiteface in winter?", then I'd definitely say just go up and down the toll road on light gear, and slog your way up to the summit using the handrail. If you want to ski cool terrain on Whiteface, well... I'd buy a ticket and ski 'em again and again and again...

I'm looking at it as, How can I ski up Whiteface and have the coolest ski down.

Been hiking up local ski hills now for a new challenge, its a lot of fun. Earn Your Turns! (thanks for that site Hillman).

-Shayne

If you're looking to earn your turns, the opportunites in the High Peaks are pretty much unlimited - and the others don't involve crowds and car spots. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Yes I agree. I'm looking into AT gear. Although locally I can only rent telemark gear so I may have to start with that. For whiteface I would probably carry my alpine gear since it is only a short hike up.

Any place in the high peaks area where you can rent AT gear?

-Shayne

Don't know for sure, but if anyplace does, I'll bet the Mountaineer in Keene Valley would. You don't see too many people in the Adirondacks on AT gear, it's kind of overkill. Plus, most of the routes have fairly flat approaches that are more comfortable on tele gear. I have seen ice climbers use AT skis to approach a more remote climb, so that they don't have to use two sets of boots. Anyway, give the Mountaineer a try on the rental.

I haven't learned to drop the knee yet teleskier--I lock 'em down for the descents. I like the added security when your looking down at the birch glades on big slide. It might be overkill, but it's very intuitive for anyone with a lift serve background. With that being said, pretty much every other person I see out there is on tele gear. At gear is easy to use, and you can get a very light setup if you go with the dynafit tlt. I'm a little too big for that, and my bindings are fritschis daimirs.I'll probably try tele gear this season. I just don't know how I'd feel when the going gets steep. As for renting at gear, I don't know how many places will go for that(unless you hire thier guide to take you out). But there is a demo day at whiteface on 12-19 from High peaks cyclery. You can try out the gear at the lift area and see what you think.

Whatever way you slide down the snow, only thing that matters is that you're out there! I only meant that seeing so few AT skiers up in the High Peaks, it may be that you find it difficult to track down a store that rents AT gear - not too much demand, I guess. But try the Mountaineer - I know they rent ice climbing stuff, so maybe that too.

Nonmotorized Means

I heard a story of when Grace learned of a men getting a ride down the same road, she made him go back to the top and descend the mountain by nonmotoized means. What's funny is that she allowed him to get a ride to the top but he had to walk down to earn his 46.

I'm picturing her at the bottom of the road shaking her finger, tsk tsk, back up there boy. Not on my watch.

I never met Grace, but I sure would have liked to.

-Shayne

David Metsky said:
I can't answer for the ADK, but in the Whites a ski up the Auto Road on Mt Washington would not count for your 4000'ers, as I read the rules.

-dave-
Dave,

This is what I cut and pasted from the AMC 4000 footer FAQs:

Q. What are the rules for climbing 4000 footers?

A. The basic rule is very simple: You must climb (on foot!) to and from the summit of each peak on the list. In winter skis and snowshoes are both allowed. (my italics)

I would use my skis and count the ascent if I were the original poster of this thread