Sled etiquette?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Clarification: I just built a sled/pulk to carry gear when XC Skiing... Not a downhill sled..
---
Is there a sled etiquette for skiing? Most of us know the XC ski rules about tracks and stuff, but what about pulling a sled? If there are no snowmobile tracks but just ski tracks, is there a particular method of travel, I imagine breaking trail with skis and a sled is hard work too!

Jay

Last edited:
As long as the sled doesn't break down the tracks that have been set, no problem.

Thing is, if you're on skis as well when pulling your sled, then you're both resetting the tracks under your weight, and then flattening it all, but hopefully not crumbling it, when the sled goes over.

I would say, either ski in the tracks and pull the sled right over them, or snowshoe away from the tracks and keep the sled away from them.

If there's space (like Zealand Road) I'll stay clear altogether if I can and it's not too difficult.

The other thing I consider is where I am. If I'm on a trail known to be used for camping and by non-skiers (like Zealand Trail) I worry a lot less. If I'm out on some popular ski loop just trying to train with the sled, then I don't want to just screw it up for everyone.

Jay H said:
Most of us know the XC ski rules about tracks and stuff, but what about pulling a sled? Jay

Jay,
I admittedly do not know the XC ski rules about tracks and stuff. Would you or someone please explain the rules, particularly on trails where hikers and snowshoers share the trails with skiers?

Hope I am not hijacking this thread too much.

thanks,
Marty

marty said:
I admittedly do not know the XC ski rules about tracks and stuff. Would you or someone please explain the rules, particularly on trails where hikers and snowshoers share the trails with skiers?
In general, if you can set a separate snowshoe track next to the ski track, that is what you should try to do. It's not always possible, but if it is, try to leave the ski tracks untrammeled.

-dave-

Thanks all, the sled is for two Baxter trips this winter but my only concern is testing this. Most of the ski places near me are not overnight locations and right now with these frickin' 60 deg temps here by NYC, no snow to speak of in the woods. The catskills might be my only nearby option with enough snow/ice to try it...

Jay

When at a formal dinner, don't lick your butter knife while pulling a sled.

Peaks said:
As long as the sled doesn't break down the tracks that have been set, no problem.

I would agree with this ....but when possible. IMO like Dave has mentioned about snowshoeing if possible you should try to make an effort to preserve a track that is already there. Although conditions both trail width and snow composition vary. The snow can be real hard with a set track and the trail narrow. In this situation King Kong dragging Glen boulder would not ruin the track if he were right on top of it. Yet the snow could be soft on the same narrow trail and you have no choice or ability to avoid a set track and smoosh it. This latter scenario in most cases would probably be a place you probably would not want to drag a sled anyhow. Most of the time if the trail is conducive for sledding it will be wide enough for both skiers with sleds and snowshoer's in one lane still allowing a lane for a set track. Or the trail is to narrow to ski and you are dragging your sled with snowshoes on and smooshing by the sled is OK because everyone is snowsheing anyhow. If you think you are inappropriately smooshing a set track have the last person in your party ski without a sled and reset the track. Of course the situation can arise where the most ideal scenario is not going to exist and some smooshing of set track is going to occur; but the bottom line is to use and exercise your best judgement and preserve the track wether it be by your skiis,sled or snowshoe travel. There will always be situational specific circumstances. You want have any worries at Baxter. Sleds are very common and where you potentially may be using one everyone else probably will be too.