Sleeping bag suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
I recently bought a new backpack to replace the ancient EMS Long Trail II I've been using for many years. That old pack did not have a lot of room for my things, so I have a brand new Gregory Whitney (95 L). It has a bottom pocket for putting a sleeping bag, however I have had the displeasure of finding out that my current sleeping bag (which is as old as the old backpack) does not fit in that pocket. It's way too big.

I should probably get a new one anyway since I hope to do winter backpacking in the White Mountains eventually. What would you recommend that would be able to fit into that pocket?

Getting a sleeping back to fit into that compartment can be an exact science. Bag too big? Won't fit. Bag too small? Wasted space.

I ripped out my bag divider on one pack, and leave it unzipped on another. I'm a stuffer, it keeps the load more balanced and I can easily ensure I have some padding, not a pot handle, sticking into my back.

I recently bought a new backpack to replace the ancient EMS Long Trail II I've been using for many years. That old pack did not have a lot of room for my things, so I have a brand new Gregory Whitney (95 L). It has a bottom pocket for putting a sleeping bag, however I have had the displeasure of finding out that my current sleeping bag (which is as old as the old backpack) does not fit in that pocket. It's way too big.

I should probably get a new one anyway since I hope to do winter backpacking in the White Mountains eventually. What would you recommend that would be able to fit into that pocket?

I have the Whitney as well but have not used it on a winter overnight yet. Other seasons I have a Western Mountaineering down bag (1 lb) and a Marmot 15 degree bag. I also use a Sea-to-Summit waterproof compression sack inside of the Whitney. When using the Western Mountaineering bag, I can also get my 3/4 Thermarest Prolite into the compression sack, as well as a liner. The down bag will compress more than synthetic, but extra caution is needed to keep it dry.

I ripped out my bag divider on one pack, and leave it unzipped on another. I'm a stuffer...

I'd try this first if you like the bag, but if it doesn't fit in the Whitney I don't know what it would fit in. I'm guessing it's synthetic, which may or may not be enough for what you want to do in the winter regardless. So I'd start looking for a bag with at least a zero degree rating, 700 or better down, a nylon sleeping bag cover and a couple of sleeping pads.

EDIT: or what J.Dub said.

Last edited:
My 20 degree down bag fits perfectly in the compartment on my Gregory but I have the fit problem with the zero degree. In winter I just use the compression sack from my 20 degree bag for extra clothing, down vest, etc and put tthat in the compartment. The zero goes in the back proper. Having the clothing in that separate bag compartment has come in handy for access.

I ripped out my bag divider on one pack, and leave it unzipped on another. I'm a stuffer, it keeps the load more balanced and I can easily ensure I have some padding, not a pot handle, sticking into my back.

As Dug, I'm a stuffer. I've found that while compression sacks work well to keep my gear in order when I'm traveling (flying to CA for example), the hard packet it makes in my pack isn't comfortable. Stuffing/Nestling is better for me.