Sleeping bags?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet

Reaction score
Whats the difference between Down bags, and Synthetic? Why are the prices so different, and is the performance that much different? Also whats up with the waterproofing? Some bags are some arn't.

Right now I am trying to decide, exactally what I need the bag for usage wise, and how much bag I need.

Down bags are lighter, compress into smaller shapes and last longer.

Synthetic bags do better when wet and cost less.

Be sure to try one on to be sure it isn't too tight or too loose when you are in it. Sleeping bags keep you warm by allowing your body to warm up the space in the bag - the roomier it is, the more you have to heat.

If you are going to be in a hut you can get by with just a silk liner most nights as they provide blankets. Most folks end up with two bags - one for Summer, one for Winter.

For the most part, as the prices go up you will get better workmanship, more loft, and slight decreases in weight.

Agree w/ what BobandGerri said. Also, IMO down bags are a much better buy in the long run because they will last 10x as long as synthetic. Also, IMO, it is not hard to keep a down bag dry. Get a full zip - & a quality MF shell so you won't have to baby it too much.

Thanks Guys,

I was originally thinking of gonig with the synthetic to save money, but after your comments, I think i'll just poney up and pay for the down. Also, I was planning on getting the waterproof bag, with a tougher outershell, so I can use it in an Adorondack Shelter, without a tent.

? anyone use those Big Agness bags? The ones with the insilation removed from the bottom, and the spot for your sleeping pad there?

Wet said:
Also, I was planning on getting the waterproof bag, with a tougher outershell, so I can use it in an Adorondack Shelter, without a tent.
In general, you don't need a waterproof outer layer on a sleeping bag, and it may not be a good thing. Water vapor given off while you sleep may not have enough of a temp differential to escape the waterproof layer and so will condense inside your sleeping bag. Not a good thing.

Inside a shelter I've never worried about staying waterproof. Some tougher but not water proof liners are available (Pertex?) and those would be my choice for New England.

-dave-

Wet said:
anyone use those Big Agness bags? The ones with the insilation removed from the bottom, and the spot for your sleeping pad there?
Yes, I have 2 BA bags (plus a couple of others). For mid-summer nights I have the BA Lost Dog. It is synthetic, only because it is lighter than the lightest down I could find at the time I bought it. I'm very happy with it. I recently bought the BA Horse Thief down bag for cooler spring and fall use. I very much like the idea of no bottom insulation, and the sleeve for a therma-rest type pad. Since I sleep in a hammock, some kind of sleeve to keep the pad in place under me is a requirement, as any hammock user knows. The BA style bags fit the bill perfectly.

I definitely recommend down unless you are in steamy jungle conditions. With moderate care and a good tent (or hammock) you can keep down dry. Not all down is created equal - If truly light weight warmth and compressability are important to you, get the highest loft down you can afford. As for the longevity of down, I have a 35 year old REI down winter bag that is still in perfectly good shape with good loft and plenty of life left. Just make sure to store your bags very loose in a large cotton (breathable) bag when not in use.

In truth, in most summer nights I sleep in a silk liner and forget the bag entirely. The Lost Dog serves as a quilt-like backup. A lightweight liner is a smart idea to extend the range (both on the warm side and the cool side) of your sleeping bag, and very importantly also to keep your bag clean.

Last edited:
I have always used synthetic bags on longer trips, but I am considering my down bag for my upcoming Northville-Placid Trail trip to save weight and space. I'm wondering what the toll on the bag will be over 10 day from humidity and water evaporation from my body.

i also have BA Horse Thief, a toasty warm bag, def good down to 35F or better. also a very wide/roomy cut. BUT - take my advice and do NOT use an inflatble pad IN the sleeve, cut a very thin closed cell pad for the sleeve then use your inflatable UNDER the bag/sleeve. if you use the inflatble IN the sleeve the bag will not "drape" over you, it will "tent" over you and not be near as warm...

Gris said:
i also have BA Horse Thief, a toasty warm bag, def good down to 35F or better. also a very wide/roomy cut. BUT - take my advice and do NOT use an inflatble pad IN the sleeve, cut a very thin closed cell pad for the sleeve then use your inflatable UNDER the bag/sleeve. if you use the inflatble IN the sleeve the bag will not "drape" over you, it will "tent" over you and not be near as warm...
You do have to use a mummy shaped pad in the sleeve of the Horse Thief, otherwise you are correct if using a rectangular inflatable pad. The primary advantage to me of using the BA system is the ability to keep the pad under me in a hammock, hence the sleeve. I guess draping is not so much of an issue in the side curves of a hammock either. Secondary advantage is weight savings by eliminating useless under-bag body-compressed insulation. Reverse this advantage order for ground sleeping.

Last edited:
there are some nice down bags at the llbeans outlet in concord nh, priced way lower than normal.

rhihn said:
I have always used synthetic bags on longer trips, but I am considering my down bag for my upcoming Northville-Placid Trail trip to save weight and space. I'm wondering what the toll on the bag will be over 10 day from humidity and water evaporation from my body.
The longest I’ve ever been out was nine days and it rained, poured actually, on five of them. My down bag was fine as were the down bags of my companions. As for perspiration, I think that may be a greater concern on a long trip in colder weather when the bag is zipped up most of the time. In summer, my bag is usually unzipped and often used as a blanket, thus not trapping much moisture.

David Metsky said:
In general, you don't need a waterproof outer layer on a sleeping bag, and it may not be a good thing. Water vapor given off while you sleep may not have enough of a temp differential to escape the waterproof layer and so will condense inside your sleeping bag. Not a good thing.
Agreed--you do NOT want a waterproof outer layer. You want moisture to be able to escape. A waterproof outer layer also makes it harder to air your bag or dry it after washing. If you are in conditions where external water may get on your bag, use a bivy sack.

BTW, keep the bag clean, (use a liner, wear a hat, wear long underwear inside it, etc). But when it is dirty, it should be washed. (DON'T just send it to a dry cleaner--down must be washed properly or it will be destroyed.)

Doug

I use a fleece bag in the summer. lightweight and very comfy. i'm a big person, my winter bag is tight but keeps me warm and ain't down.